Q. My sister is only 4'5" even at 18 years. Is GHRP advisable?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

My sister is 18 years old, and her height is too short (4.5"), and my father is 6'3", and mother is 5'7". But still she is 4'5", and her height is not increasing, and as a girl, she faces too many problems because of her height. Will GHRP (HGH) work?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Endocrinology
#

Expected height of your sister should be, 2.54x (75+67) /2)-6.5(+/-)10 cm = 173.84 (+/-) 10 cm = 5'8.44"(+/-) 3.9 inch. Girls usually acquire their final height by the age of 16 years. So your sister has a short-stature. The commonest cause of short stature in growing age is hypothyroidism, which is also associated with impaired intelligence, constipation, and weight gain (your sister is slightly overweight).

There may be disproportionate body habitus. Treatment is a replacement, cheap and effective. In GH (growth hormone) deficiency intelligence, body habitus is normal. Treatment is a replacement, costly, and valid only when given timely (before puberty). In achondroplasia or hypochondroplasia, intelligence is average, and body habitus is disproportionate. Malnutrition, chronic diseases, and a few other rare syndromes (if appearance suggests) should also be excluded.

|