Q. My sister is only 4'5" even at 18 years. Is GHRP advisable?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My sister is 18 years old, and her height is too short (4.5"), and my father is 6'3", and mother is 5'7". But still she is 4'5", and her height is not increasing, and as a girl, she faces too many problems because of her height. Will GHRP (HGH) work?

Do you have a question on Height Discrepancy or Growth Hormone?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

MBBS., MD(ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM
Endocrinology

Expected height of your sister should be, 2.54x (75+67) /2)-6.5(+/-)10 cm = 173.84 (+/-) 10 cm = 5'8.44"(+/-) 3.9 inch. Girls usually acquire their final height by the age of 16 years. So your sister has a short-stature. The commonest cause of short stature in growing age is hypothyroidism, which is also associated with impaired intelligence, constipation, and weight gain (your sister is slightly overweight).

There may be disproportionate body habitus. Treatment is a replacement, cheap and effective. In GH (growth hormone) deficiency intelligence, body habitus is normal. Treatment is a replacement, costly, and valid only when given timely (before puberty). In achondroplasia or hypochondroplasia, intelligence is average, and body habitus is disproportionate. Malnutrition, chronic diseases, and a few other rare syndromes (if appearance suggests) should also be excluded.

Also Read Answers From: Height Discrepancy Growth Hormone

The scan says my baby's growth is 10 days behind its age. Please advise.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I am 22 weeks and two days pregnant and was told at my last scan that the baby is about 10 days behind in size. All the other readings were normal, and the growth of the brain was normal for the gestational age. We are not very tall people. My husband is 5 feet...  Read Full >>
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. There is always some discrepancy while trying to assess the fetal age by ultrasonography (USG) and comparing it with your last menstruation period date. The discrepancies are: In a USG done in the first three months, there is a discrepa...  Read Full

How to get my acne scars removed?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. My height is 158 cm and my weight is 50 kg. I have severe acne scars on my face, back, lower back and below the neck. I have pimples on my face. I am using Benzoyl peroxide for the same. I have attached my photos here. My problems also include hair fall, thinnin...  Read Full >>
Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Benzoyl peroxide will not work on your acne as you are having grade 4 acne (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to start Isotretinoin immediately. Let me know your marital status, because you should not get pregnant while on Isotretinoin and at least...  Read Full

Will IGF-1 go down to normal after stopping growth hormone replacement therapy?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old man who has used growth hormone replacement therapy, Somatropin, for a year to combat asthma. I made an error in my original dosing and now have learned I have been overdosing (approximately 20 mg per week). Three weeks ago, I started to feel fatigued. I could not c...  Read Full >>
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have used Somatropin without actually having any growth hormone deficiency. First of all please do not restart it at any cost. Secondly, visit a cardiologist for your symptoms as the major si...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now