Q. My sister is only 4'5" even at 18 years. Is GHRP advisable?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Aug 14, 2019

My sister is 18 years old, and her height is too short (4.5"), and my father is 6'3", and mother is 5'7". But still she is 4'5", and her height is not increasing, and as a girl, she faces too many problems because of her height. Will GHRP (HGH) work?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Endocrinology
#

Expected height of your sister should be, 2.54x (75+67) /2)-6.5(+/-)10 cm = 173.84 (+/-) 10 cm = 5'8.44"(+/-) 3.9 inch. Girls usually acquire their final height by the age of 16 years. So your sister has a short-stature. The commonest cause of short stature in growing age is hypothyroidism, which is also associated with impaired intelligence, constipation, and weight gain (your sister is slightly overweight).

There may be disproportionate body habitus. Treatment is a replacement, cheap and effective. In GH (growth hormone) deficiency intelligence, body habitus is normal. Treatment is a replacement, costly, and valid only when given timely (before puberty). In achondroplasia or hypochondroplasia, intelligence is average, and body habitus is disproportionate. Malnutrition, chronic diseases, and a few other rare syndromes (if appearance suggests) should also be excluded.

The scan says my baby's growth is 10 days behind its age. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I am 22 weeks and two days pregnant and was told at my last scan that the baby is about 10 days behind in size. All the other readings were normal, and the growth of the brain was normal for the gestational age. We are not very tall people. My husband is 5 feet...  Read Full »

How to get my acne scars removed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. My height is 158 cm and my weight is 50 kg. I have severe acne scars on my face, back, lower back and below the neck. I have pimples on my face. I am using Benzoyl peroxide for the same. I have attached my photos here. My problems also include hair fall, thinnin...  Read Full »

Will IGF-1 go down to normal after stopping growth hormone replacement therapy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old man who has used growth hormone replacement therapy, Somatropin, for a year to combat asthma. I made an error in my original dosing and now have learned I have been overdosing (approximately 20 mg per week). Three weeks ago, I started to feel fatigued. I could not c...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now