What should I do to make my son grow taller?

Q. What should I do to make my son grow taller?

Answered by
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2023

Hello doctor,

My son is 10 years old. His height is only 4.1 feet, and he weighs 60 lbs. I am worried about his short stature. We recently got an x-ray of his hands taken, to know his bone age. The x-ray revealed that it is 9.4. Does it have any relation with his femur length and humerus length when he was a fetus? Please comment in detail.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I just read your query about your son's height, and it appears that he has a constitutional short stature. He is below the third percentile for height. There is no relation between femur length and humerus length in the embryo stage, and his present height. The child usually catches up after birth. Good nutrition would help him achieve a higher final height, as it ultimately depends on the mid-parental height. Skipping gluten from his diet may help him grow better. Many children with constitutional short stature usually have gluten intolerance, which goes undetected and leads to insufficient growth. Try to increase his protein intake and his total calories intake. Check his thyroid functioning. Encourage a good amount of physical activity.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

Hello doctor,

Thanks for replying. Please suggest a gluten-free diet for my child. Also, recommend some physical activities which may help him gain height rapidly.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

The cereals and grains that should be avoided are wheat, barley, redi wheat, durum, farina, graham flour, malt, rye, semolina, spelt, and triticale. The exercises which help in gaining height are cycling, basketball, jump rope, and stretching.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Apart from anti-inflammatory medicine, what should I do for plantar fasciitis?

I do not know what anti-inflammatory medicines you were taking, but you need to take the correct medicines and the main treatment of plantar fasciitis is stretching exercises ...   Read full

Child Height Prediction Calculator

How tall your baby will going to be? Predict the height of your child using this Height Prediction Calculator.   Read full

Can I grow any longer by taking HGH?

My parents' heights are about 5'5" and 5'0" and my sister is 5'1" ... As far as I have seen in gigantism most of their height comes from their torso ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.