Q. Can I use any sign from my body to know if I would grow taller?

Dr. Balamurugan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

I was wondering if you can help me with some information regarding my height. I am 5 feet 4 inches, and I am 17 years and 5 months old. My father is 5 feet 6 inches tall, and my mother is 4 feet 11 inches tall. Is there a chance I can get an inch or two more in height? I am not sure if I am in tanner stage 4 or 5. I have not grown since the past year, I think. Does this mean I am done growing? I know there is no clear way to know, but can I use any sign from my body to clarify whether I would grow more or not? I came across a piece of information that says you grow taller until you are 21 years of age and that male growth plates close around 17 to 18 years of age. Please clarify.

#

I understand your concern. Apart from genetics and hormones, nutrition and physical activity play an essential role in normal growth. Mid puberty changes include increased pubic hair, axillary hair, acne, and adult body odor. Whereas in late mid puberty, boys achieve peak growth velocity and weight gain. Finally, deepening of the voice, further evolution of body composition, adult-type pubic hair, and genital development takes place. Usually, in males, the height velocity peaks (8 to 12 cm per year) between 12 to 16 years of age. After that, growth occurs at 1 to 2 cm per year up to 20 years. So there is a high probability for growth. I hope this helps.

|