Q. Can I use any sign from my body to know if I would grow taller?

Dr. Balamurugan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

Hello, I was wandering if you can help with some information regarding my height. I am 5'4" and I am 17(and 5 months) years old. My father is 5'6" and my mother is 4'11", is there a chance I can get an inch or two more in height? I am not sure if I am in tanner stage 4 or 5. I have not grown anymore since the past year I think. Does this mean I am done growing. I know there isn't a clear way of knowing, but can I use any sign from my body to clarify whether I would grow more or not? I came upon information that says you grow taller until you are 21, and I also came upon information saying male growth plates around 17-18 years old.

#

Hi, Welcome to Icliniq, I understand your concern, Answering to your Query, Apart from genetics and hormones, Nutrition and Physical Activity play an important role in Normal growth. Mid puberty changes include increased pubic hair, axillary hair, acne, and adult body odor. Whereas In late midpuberty, boys achieve peak growth velocity and weight gain. Finally,deepening of the voice, further evolution of body composition, adult-type pubic hair, and genital development. Usually in males,the height velocity peaks(8-12 cm/year) between 12-16 years of age. Thereafter, growth occurs at 1-2 cm/year up to twenty years. So there’s a high probability for growth. Hope this helps.

|