Q. My son gets some blood clot like black spot while playing. Why?

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 08, 2020

My 14 year old son gets some blood clot and black spot while playing. It used to stay for a few days, but this time it has been there for the past two weeks. He also has some pain on the spots. His BT 1 minutes, CT 4 minutes 15 seconds and albumin protein is 5 g per 100 mL. My son used Picon ointment for vitiligo for the past five years. Now, he is using Tenovate ointment and Methoxsalen solution. I have also attached his laboratory test reports for your reference. Please suggest.

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• Those black spots witnessed following injury are bruises or hematoma that occurs due to bleeding into the tissue under the skin. The remarkable feature of this is changing their color from black to red to green before they disappear.
  • They are tender, painful and may be associated with swelling. His blood tests are within normal limits (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • However, long time use of steroids as Tenovate (Clobetasol Propionate) and psoralen that is Methoxsalen ointments may lead to thinning and atrophy of the skin and dilatation of superficial blood vessels.
  • It may lead to the rupture of vessels on minimal exposure to trauma and bruising, which may take long time to disappear.
  • Apply cold sponging locally for 10 to 15 minutes every 2 hours for 48 hours, followed by hot packs locally to relieve pain as well as to fasten recovery. As long as he is in therapy, he needs to be careful.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|