Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Though my hepatitis report came negative, my urine is still red. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Bharat Patodiya
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2016

Hi doctor,

Two years ago, I got chicken pox. Later, I started taking lots of oil items. As a consequence, I got jaundice. Exactly a year ago, I took a few tests and everything was under control except direct bilirubin level 0.4. Seven months later, whenever I urinated in the morning the color of my urine was red. So, my doctor prescribed me to take all hepatitis tests (A to E) and all the reports came negative. After this, I started with homeopathy treatment, but no improvement. What to do? Also, I had Sinarest without prescription.

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology


Welcome to

I can understand your frustration with non-diagnosis state. Let me first clarify a few myths.

  • Consuming oil does not cause jaundice. You must have developed jaundice due to viral hepatitis.
  • It is unlikely that the current episode is because of the hepatitis. Also, I do not think your red urine is due to liver issue, but some urogenital issue. Because, hepatitis causes yellow urine.
  • I will suggest to evaluate for hematuria. The test may include urine routine, urine culture, renal function test, blood pressure check, serum albumin level, x-ray KUB (kidney, ureter and bladder) and pelvis ultrasound.
  • Before you go ahead with all the above, repeat the urine dipstick and confirm blood in urine and not any other food color from the diet.
  • Do you have any pain while passing urine or has any unprotected sexual activity?

 Revert back with the reports to a general medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My brother gets jaundice every 3 to 4 months. Why?
Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?
My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can jaundice be treated in a 4-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old daughter with a weight of 12 kg has jaundice for the last 10 days. She is on HepaMerz Syrup and Mosegor-V Syrup. What should be done more to cure her?  Read Full »

Kindly recommend a medicine for urine infection.

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from a urinary infection for the last one week. I am unable to control urine. But, no medication is taken yet. I am a 34 year old female. My height is 154 cm and weight 76 kg.  Read Full »

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Query: Hello doctor, Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it ...  Read Full »

Also Read

I have a little patch on my hairline, which is not healing properly. Why?
Hi doctor, I am a fair-skinned 32-year-old woman. I have used skincare with SPF for as long as I can remember and have n...  Read more»
I have lots of afterimages and visual trailing. Could it be due to dry eyes?
Hello doctor, Can dry eyes cause afterimages and visual trails? I have a history of non-allergic rhinitis and dry eyes ...  Read more»
Hemophilia - Signs, Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Hemophilia is a rare genetic blood disorder, that results from low levels or absence of clotting factor VIII or IX. Read...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.