iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHematologyhemoglobinMy wife has low hemoglobin. Can she travel abroad?

Can someone travel abroad with low hemoglobin?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 10, 2017
Reviewed AtMay 9, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My wife went for a master's health checkup. Her fitness certificate was put on hold due to low hemoglobin and other blood test parameters. Her hemoglobin was 8 g/dL, ESR was 25, hematocrit was 26.8, MCV was 62.3, MCH was 18.8, MCHC was 30.0, and RDW was 21.4 %. Can you please check these parameters and suggest if she can travel abroad?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  1. Your wife has microcytic hypochromic anemia. The common causes of microcytic hypochromic anemia are iron-deficiency anemia, sideroblastic anemia, thalassemia minor, and anemia of chronic disease.
  2. Here, most likely the cause is iron-deficiency anemia. So, I suggest you do the following test.

a. Serum ferritin.

b. Serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity).

c. Transferrin receptor saturation assay if needed.

d. For iron-deficiency anemia, Ferrous sulfate tablet or syrup can be given for two to three month, after consulting your doctor.

e. The cause of iron-deficiency anemia has to be found so that it can be treated. For example, if there is a complaint of abdominal pain due to parasite egg, then Albendazole is needed.

f. It can also be caused due to vaginal bleeding, then the cause should be searched by pelvic examination and ultrasonogram.

Does your wife complain of excess bleeding? Does she take less nutritional food? Does she have abdominal pain? She should consume green leafy vegetables (spinach), jaggery, dry fruits, etc.

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your response.

We have done stool sample test and pelvic examination, and all reports were normal. I would also mention that nutritional intake was less. We would need to travel abroad soon, so please suggest some medication and nutritional supplements.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  1. Your wife has iron-deficiency anemia due to less nutritional intake.
  2. So, I would suggest taking one tablet of Orofer XT (a combination of Folic acid and elemental iron) daily, it contains Ferrous Ascorbate, which is equivalent to elemental iron 100 mg. This drug should be consumed for at least two months, then repeat CBC (complete blood count).
  3. Take iron-rich food like green leafy vegetables, dry fruits, red meat, jaggery, beans, fortified iron cereal, and pasta can be used in breakfast.
  4. Avoid eating outside food.
  5. With the above advice, your CBC report will improve, and symptoms like weakness will also be resolved. Regularly check serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level, to adjust Levothyroxine dosage.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy