Q. What can small red dots on the feet and back be?

Dr. Settipalli Saravan Pramod

My mother is suffering from acute severe asthma for the last five years for which she is regularly taking treatment. But, from 10 days she felt some pain in her stomach and there were lots of red dots on her feet and back. Today, we visited a doctor who performed some tests. I am attaching the reports of the same. Kindly advise us on this. What is wrong with her?

#

I went through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

These are called as purpuric rashes. There are a number of causes for this. Was there any fever? Where did the rashes start off?

The probable diagnosis given was a meningococcal infection. This can be treated. There is no need to worry.

There seems to be thrombocytosis and excess platelet count. Did she have these complaints even before?

During this, was she alright or a bit drowsy? What was her consciousness level?

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for your reply. There was no fever and this started 10 days ago. These red dots first appeared on her legs and then on her back. She was alright, not drowsy. The doctor said there is too much infection in the blood. Is it so? Because we visited another doctor before this and he did not tell us anything like that. What is your advice on this and what should be the line of treatment? They have performed another test whose reports are yet to come. Is there anything serious because I am posted 1600 km away from my hometown. I will get back to you when I get the reports.

#

The probable cause is HSP (Henoch-Schonlein purpura), due to respiratory tract infection. It can be treated with some injection antibiotics and painkillers and also steroids. This will improve the symptoms and she will recover soon.

I have seen all the reports. It shows a total count of about 18,000. So, definitely, infection is present.

I suggest you be with her for at least one week unless you have some urgent work. I think it is better to get a hospital admission rather than treating her at home because she has multiple issues like HSP, sepsis, and serum dyselectrolytemia, that is, low serum sodium and potassium.

Definitely, attach your reports or reach me by phone anytime needed.

|