Q. I am on the treatment for hepatitis B. Could it be the reason for low libido?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

I am 41 years old, and I am working on different shifts for 15 years. Also, I had hepatitis B noncontagious and having medicine Tenvir. I had no libido for a month or two month and reaching to three months. And when I have a libido, I do not get an erection fast, but when I get it, it will be very good erection. It started in the middle of last year before that everything was perfect. Also, I am working out three or four days per week.

My hormone results are,

Total testosterone in last year was 261.

Total testosterone in this month 263.

Free testosterone is 9.85.

LH is 4.08, and FSH is 5.21.

My questions are,

1. Is hepatitis B effecting on testosterone or libido?

2. Is my testosterone level affecting libido?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Endocrinology
#

In chronic liver disease, testosterone level may fall, the ratio with estrogen may alter, and in advanced disease, there may be testicular atrophy, gynecomastia. Recent studies show testosterone level can predict the outcome of end-stage liver disease. The functional status of your liver is still reasonably well, protein synthesis, one function, and your serum protein levels are normal, so it is not worrying.

Recent studies also showed intramuscular testosterone (250 mg monthly) improve the life and well-being of men with chronic liver disease and low testosterone. I hope you have found guidance.

| 

I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no p...  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine, which can cure erection problems and low libido.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who has schizophrenia and depression from the last 12 years. My current problem is low libido and erection-related issues. I do not wish to take any medicine like Viagra or other similar medicines. Please suggest a medicine which can cure my problem. I also need...  Read Full »

How to improve my testosterone level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. My total testosterone was low. It was 400 ng/dL. This was on last Friday after a very intense week with insufficient sleep and no exercise. My question is, am I stuck with this? How can I improve this to any value within the normal range?  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now