Q. I am on the treatment for hepatitis B. Could it be the reason for low libido?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am 41 years old, and I am working on different shifts for 15 years. Also, I had hepatitis B noncontagious and having medicine Tenvir. I had no libido for a month or two month and reaching to three months. And when I have a libido, I do not get an erection fast, but when I get it, it will be very good erection. It started in the middle of last year before that everything was perfect. Also, I am working out three or four days per week.

My hormone results are,

Total testosterone in last year was 261.

Total testosterone in this month 263.

Free testosterone is 9.85.

LH is 4.08, and FSH is 5.21.

My questions are,

1. Is hepatitis B effecting on testosterone or libido?

2. Is my testosterone level affecting libido?

Do you have a question on Hepatitis B Virus or Low Libido?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

MBBS., MD(ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM
Endocrinology

In chronic liver disease, testosterone level may fall, the ratio with estrogen may alter, and in advanced disease, there may be testicular atrophy, gynecomastia. Recent studies show testosterone level can predict the outcome of end-stage liver disease. The functional status of your liver is still reasonably well, protein synthesis, one function, and your serum protein levels are normal, so it is not worrying.

Recent studies also showed intramuscular testosterone (250 mg monthly) improve the life and well-being of men with chronic liver disease and low testosterone. I hope you have found guidance.

Also Read Answers From: Hepatitis B Virus Low Libido Testosterone Level

I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?
Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no p...  Read Full >>
Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all the data posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two abnormalities in your reports. The first one is that the percentage of lymphocytes are high and that of the neutrophils are low. This is commonly seen in viral fever. Y...  Read Full

Please suggest a medicine, which can cure erection problems and low libido.
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who has schizophrenia and depression from the last 12 years. My current problem is low libido and erection-related issues. I do not wish to take any medicine like Viagra or other similar medicines. Please suggest a medicine which can cure my problem. I also need...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description, there are following things which are responsible for decreased libido and erection problem: Obesity. Diabetes. High blood pressure and medications. Low testosterone level. I suggest the follow...  Read Full

How to improve my testosterone level?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. My total testosterone was low. It was 400 ng/dL. This was on last Friday after a very intense week with insufficient sleep and no exercise. My question is, am I stuck with this? How can I improve this to any value within the normal range?  Read Full >>
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. However, I would like you to answer few questions so that I can help you better. Why did you do the test? Do you have any sexual or infertility problem? Male testosterone levels (T level) usually range between 250 ng/dL and 850 ng...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now