Q. I am on the treatment for hepatitis B. Could it be the reason for low libido?

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

I am 41 years old, and I am working on different shifts for 15 years. Also, I had hepatitis B noncontagious and having medicine Tenvir. I had no libido for a month or two month and reaching to three months. And when I have a libido, I do not get an erection fast, but when I get it, it will be very good erection. It started in the middle of last year before that everything was perfect. Also, I am working out three or four days per week.

My hormone results are,

Total testosterone in last year was 261.

Total testosterone in this month 263.

Free testosterone is 9.85.

LH is 4.08, and FSH is 5.21.

My questions are,

1. Is hepatitis B effecting on testosterone or libido?

2. Is my testosterone level affecting libido?

#

In chronic liver disease, testosterone level may fall, the ratio with estrogen may alter, and in advanced disease, there may be testicular atrophy, gynecomastia. Recent studies show testosterone level can predict the outcome of end-stage liver disease. The functional status of your liver is still reasonably well, protein synthesis, one function, and your serum protein levels are normal, so it is not worrying.

Recent studies also showed intramuscular testosterone (250 mg monthly) improve the life and well-being of men with chronic liver disease and low testosterone. I hope you have found guidance.

|