Q. What is the difference between jaundice and hepatitis?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was diagnosed to be suffering from hepatitis. My SGPT and bilirubin levels are high. I have been experiencing vomiting and nausea for the past one month. I had tested myself for jaundice around 15 days back; only bilirubin was high that time. Now, in the recent test taken three days ago, both SGPT and bilirubin levels are high. I am on medicine for hepatitis and also, taking antidepressant. What is the difference between jaundice and hepatitis?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

• The term hepatitis indicates inflammation of the liver and that may manifest as jaundice.
  • It is due to many causes such as infection, metabolic, etc. We need to do a thorough investigation, because treatment is directed towards the specific disease and some medication may cause hepatitis.
  • You can provide the details of the investigation and medications you have taken.

Hepatitis B and C, serum ceruloplasmin, PT (prothrombin time), aPTT (activated partial thromboplastin time), INR (international normalized ratio) and ultrasound abdomen for fatty liver.

Revert back with the detailed history and investigation reports to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

How long does it take for liver enzymes to normalize?

Query: Hi doctor, My ALT 384, AST 144, glutamyl 151, alkaline 131, albumin 45, lipase 24, amylase 68, CRP 7.7 and bilirubin normal. I have stopped drinking alcohol. How long will it take to normalize other enzyme levels? What are the risks I have from the above report?  Read Full »

How can jaundice be treated in a 4-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old daughter with a weight of 12 kg has jaundice for the last 10 days. She is on HepaMerz Syrup and Mosegor-V Syrup. What should be done more to cure her?  Read Full »

Why are my liver enzymes and bilirubin levels elevated?

Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »