Q. What do bile salt and bile pigment signify in jaundice?

Dr.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 04, 2020

What is the value of bile salt and bile pigment if a person has jaundice?

#

• Jaundice represents the deposition of bile pigments, more specifically bilirubin, which can be noticed as a yellow color of the skin and sclera (white part) of the eye.
  • The level of jaundice is usually related to the concentration of serum bilirubin. The normal reference range being around 3-20 micromoles per liter.
  • The first clinical sign of jaundice is itching, icterus and yellow discoloration first noticed in the sclera will start to become apparent when the serum bilirubin levels reach around 40-50 micromoles per liter.
  • Note that different countries will use different units of measurements and different units will quote slightly different reference ranges also.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|