Q. Will the UA be negative when heroin-positive menses blood is mixed with clear urine?

Dr. Pratik Patil
Published on Nov 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

My daughter is currently in recovery from heroin and my husband and I believe she is using it again. We check her UA's at home and mail the findings to a lab. We suspect that she is giving us her friend’s urine. However, I know that today she began her menses and the urine she gave us is blood tinged slightly. Our question is if the urine is clean for heroin and if the blood is not, will the urine drug screen come back negative?

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

• Ideally, both the urine and blood screens come positive.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I would like to know if the urine drug test shows positive if there is heroin-positive menses blood mixed in a clear urine. Does heroin produce the same metabolite in urine and blood and can urinalysis detect it?

Dr. Pratik Patil

#

• The menses blood in urine is detailed as the number of RBCs (red blood cells) in urine which does not carry any metabolites of heroin in blood. Hence ideally urine and blood both show positive results for heroin metabolites. 
  • The quantity of heroin consumed would be very very low favoring a positive result in blood and not in the urine.

So, does that mean you are saying when her friend’s heroin-negative urine is mixed with a drop or two of my daughter’s heroin-positive menses blood, the UA will not detect it as the RBCs do not carry heroin? Will the test come back negative? Please help as I am extremely concerned about this.

Dr. Pratik Patil

#

• Yes, exactly. This is what I mean.
  • Also, the halftime for eliminating heroin out of the body is as low as 30 minutes. So if you take blood and urine samples after this time, the tests shall come negative too.

I know it is possible to test positive for heroin on a blood tox screen. So then why would not blood from a heroin user’s menses test positive in a UA? If there is no heroin in the RBC of blood, where and why is it detectable on a blood tox screen? I read something about both blood and urine drug tests testing for the 6-MAM metabolite, which they both carry even if it is for a short time. Is this true? If it is located in the blood, I would think we would be able to prove my daughter is still using heroin. Kindly provide your opinion.

Dr. Pratik Patil

#

• Please note that the absence of 6-AM (6-monoacetylmorphine) which is a direct metabolite of heroin does not rule out heroin use because trace amounts of 6-AM are only excreted for approximately two to eight hours following the heroin use or slightly longer for heavy or chronic usage.
  • This requires a urine specimen to be collected soon after the last heroin use in order for it to be detected.
  • Thus, it is a best practice to continue to use the standard five-panel urine-based drug test which includes the screening for opiate use along with the 6-AM metabolite test to more specifically screen for heroin.

So, then is it possible that my daughter's heroin-contaminated menses blood will yield a dirty or a positive result on the urinalysis despite the urine not having heroin in it? Also, I do believe she used heroin just an hour or two before we gave her the test.

Dr. Pratik Patil

What is the permanent solution for testicular pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a mild pain in the right testis since two months. The USG report showed slight thickening of the spermatic cord. Now, after 10 days of antibiotic courses referred by the physician, then the condition is better. But when I lift some weight or drive a car, then the pain starts again...  Read Full »

Opioid Addiction and Abuse

Article Overview: Opioids have been used as pain relief medication for the past several centuries. But, in today’s age, apart from its medicinal use, they are also being taken recreationally, leading to rampant abuse and the growing menace of opioid addiction. This has severe implications on physical as well as psychological (mental) health. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Opioids are the derivatives of the plant Papaver somniferum, commonly known as the poppy husk. They are medically used as analgesics to relieve moderate to severe pain. They Are Classified As Natural opioids: those which occur naturally such as Codeine, and Thebaine. Semisynthetic opioids: th...  Read Article