Q. What are the best ways to lower blood pressure at home?

Hi, my dad who’s 61 years old has been experiencing hypertension and I would like to ask what are the best ways to ease/lower the blood pressure at home? Hypertension runs in his family. He has pain in the nape area, and his BP is 150/100. Same issue happened last month, his BP was 160/100 and he felt dizzy and no energy. He is taking Losartan 50mg (half). Thank you so much.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
# Hello,
BP target should be less than 140/90 mmhg. Losartan may be increased to 1 tablet daily instead of half.
He should avoid excessive salt, and have plenty of fruits if not diabetic and plenty of green leafy vegetables. Have regular exercises like brisk walking for atleast 30 min a day. If using electronic BP apparatus then arm should be resting on the table and completely relaxed, should take three readings at a time and average of three should be considered.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

| 

I have high blood pressure and feel chest pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I feel pain on the left side of my chest. I have no sugar but high blood pressure. My age is 50 years. I am 67 inches in height and my weight is 78 kg.  Read Full »

How should I control my BP in winter?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. In winter, My BP increases to around 160/105 mmHg; however, in summer, it is normal at 130/90 mmHg. I do not feel any problems yet such as headache. Now, I feel some shortness of breath. How should I control my BP in winter season? I have already started taking le...  Read Full »

Blood pressure seems unusually high in 4 year old. Is there a problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a nephew who is 4 and a half years old. He is quite active as a child with a normal height and weight according to his age. Two days back we happened to measure his blood pressure at home normally. We were quite taken aback as it was 144/100 and later also it was around 130/96 ...  Read Full »