Q. Do cholesterol medications cause an increase in creatinine values?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am taking Lipicard 160 mg and Atorlip 10 mg for controlling triglycerides and cholesterol. Both are now under control but, my serum creatinine value is 1.2. Is the value higher than normal? If so, is it due to my medicines or could there be any other reason?

#

• It is not elevated but in the borderline. Actually, the values depend on the lab as well. You need to see the lab reference range for it. However, you should get it repeated as we need to be sure regarding the value.
  • And, this is not due to the medicines which you take. Commonly, this condition occurs due to a high blood pressure or diabetes. Do you have high BP? If you have not got it checked, get it measured. And your sugar levels are normal.
  • In my opinion, there is no need of Lipicard (Fenofibrate) especially now, when your triglycerides are under control. Atorlip (Atorvastatin) alone is enough. It also lowers the triglycerides.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thanks for the reply. My blood pressure has been 135/84 for the last two years but, previously it was 110/70. Do I need any other tests?

#

• You should have an ultrasound of the kidneys, urine 24-hour examination for protein and cells and repeat the creatinine levels.
  • No other treatment is needed for your BP. You just need to monitor it.
  • Have a low salt diet and do exercises regularly. Avoid pain killers and any other unnecessary medicines if you are taking.

All the best.

|