High Esr

My wife's ESR rate is 85 and other blood reports are normal. Does she need any other test?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 30-years-old has ESR 85, and other blood reports CBC, lipid, thyroid, SGPT, SGOP, urine routine are normal. Does any other test is required? Any medicine?  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is high, and other blood reports are within normal limits. ESR is a non-specific test, and it only indicates that a person has some infection or inflammation in the body. If you provide some clinical symptoms, then I c...  Read Full »

What causes bilateral metatarsalgia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hypertension and bilateral metatarsalgia. I am seeking a second opinion on my medical reports. I have attached them for your reference.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are a few things which will need to be addressed. Your ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is 45 which is high and simultaneously you are complaining of arthralgias. ...  Read Full »

Why is ESR raising in a patient with AIH?

Query: Hello doctor, Thought to have likely acute AIH for the past eight months. Currently, being treated with Prednisolone 8 mg to go to 5 mg and Azathioprine 50 much. My ALT/AST are within normal range last two months coming down from almost 2000. ESR has been steadily rising since past five months, com...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In general, ESR is a very non-specific marker. It has no significance in isolation. However, in countries where tuberculosis is predominant, we always consider it while a person is on immunosuppressive drugs. So you can ask your doctor for a chest X-ray. It is however n...  Read Full »

Please suggest about my blood report seen after bladder surgery.

Query: Hi doctor, I have undergone bladder surgery for poor flow. Now, I have done some blood test. I am in confusion. I have got rheumatic fever before 20 years. I am taking many antibiotics for the past two months. Please suggest.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer is raised suggesting antibodies against streptococcal metabolites. Your ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and neutrophil counts are mildly elevate...  Read Full »

Will high platelet count cause a blood clot or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has high WBC count of 15,000, platelet count of 5,40,000, and hemoglobin at 11.2. Her ESR is 86, and CRP is also similar. She has a fever, which rises in the evening to 101. Can you please tell me what this denotes? Also, will the high platelet count cause a danger for a bl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. High platelet count will not lead to thrombosis in the body. Do not worry about that. High platelet is because of reactive thrombocytosis, and that can occur in bleeding, anemia, infection, inflammation, etc. You have an ulcer in the colon, and it seems to be ulcerative...  Read Full »

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history, you have an upper respiratory tract infection. You need to do the following investigations. Physical examination. Auscultation. CBC (complete blood count). Throat swab for culture or ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer. If auscultation is suspicious, ...  Read Full »

Can you go through my dengue test results and explain them to me?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever (100 to 103 F) from the last two days with chills and aches on the knees and hands. I went to a general physician. She prescribed me Mefkind forte and said that if the fever stays for more than a day, I should go for CBC and dengue antigen. But, I have done my CBC and den...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your dengue test (NS1) is positive, and the platelet count is normal. You also have mild anemia, most likely due to iron deficiency. Your fasting blood sugar is on the higher side. Please continue to drink plenty of water as it is the main treatment for dengue...  Read Full »

How can high blood sugar be treated in someone who has chronic diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has an 18-year history of type 2 diabetes mainly due to stress. HbA1c is 11 and fasting blood sugar level is 247 with G.M.SR 2. Her ESR is 40. She is suffering from frequent body aches these days especially in shoulders. In the past, she has taken Glimestar. P...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A fasting blood sugar level of 247 is quite high and HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) of 11 indicates uncontrolled blood sugar. The medication that your mother is taking is not sufficient to control her blood sugar. She definitely needs a revision of her prescription.&...  Read Full »

Can a deficiency of vitamin B12 cause breathlessness?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test recently and my ESR was elevated to 22, while vitamin B12 was low. I have pain in the right armpit and also a pain in the neck.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your B12 level is low, hence it should be treated with Folic acid tablets and Cyanocobalamin injections. Cyanocobalamin 1000 mcg injections are given intramuscularly for six weeks. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) can be high in any inflammatory condition. You hav...  Read Full »

Are the symptoms indicate vasculitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51-year-old woman with an eight-month history of: persistent fever. shortness of breath on exertion. suffocation feeling. barking cough, sometimes productive cough with yellow sputum raised resting heart rate. tachycardia and palpitations with mild e...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The manifestations of vasculitis in general are: Weight loss of more than 10% body weight. Aches and pains, fever, and loss of appetite. Mononeuritis. Investigations will reveal high ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), positive CRP (C-reactive pro...  Read Full »