Q. What could be the reason for recurrent fever with high ESR and CRP levels?

Published on Aug 04, 2018

I am getting a fever every day. But, every day the fever occurs and goes to a maximum of 100 degrees, and it gets back to the body temperature without any medications.

It is repetitive. I have done a few blood tests and am attaching the reports. I have found out that my CRP and ESR is very high (I have a history of aortic valve replacement surgery).

I am worried. I am taking Betaloc 12.5 mg, Ecospirin 75 mg, Warfarin 5 mg, Fibator 5 mg. Last week, I went out of the station, and I had a significant amount of traveling.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It is likely a viral fever only as it settles within four to five days. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) are usually elevated due to viral fever or any other fever.

As it gets recovered within four to five days without any antibiotics, then it is likely a viral fever, and the possibility of other infection goes down like infective endocarditis, typhoid, malaria. So there is no need to get worried.

One may get repeated viral fever with travel, change in environment or change in food and the body clears it successfully. So there is nothing to worry about it.

Since you have an aortic valve replacement, then we have to be vigilant regarding the possibility of infective endocarditis.

So you should get your ESR and CRP done after two weeks, and if they are still elevated, then you should get an echocardiogram done to rule out infective endocarditis.

For more information consult a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

My fever has not settled. It is appearing once every day with a maximum of 100 degrees and goes down without medications. The temperature is coming every day repetitively. CRP is 5.4 mg/dL (much higher than range), and ESR is also very elevated.

#

It is viral fever as it persists for a week. But, it needs to be evaluated. So we need to rule out typhoid fever and infective endocarditis.

So you should get some blood test done like

• Widal test for typhoid,
  • echocardiography for infective endocarditis
  • dengue NS1 (nonstructural protein 1) done.

You may get done from any private laboratory and echocardiogram from a cardiologist only as it is difficult to see infection on the prosthetic valve. You can take tablet Paracetamol if it is needed.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

The monocytes and ESR values in my wife's hemogram report are abnormal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife got an annual blood test done. Few of my wife's results are off the radar. She is 30 years old, and she had a mild cough when the tests were done. She becomes tired very easily. In the attached hemogram report, her monocytes are 0 and ESR is 80. Rest of the tests inc...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Rathee
General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern, but after a detailed evaluation of your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I would say there is nothing to worry. Only monocytes levels are low, it does not mean much. It does not cause anything serious if ...  Read Full

My blood report shows ESR count 34 and Hb 10.9. Is there any problem?

Query: Hi doctor,Two months back blood report shows ESR count is 34. And Hb 10.9. I also have fever fluctuating and have lost weight drastically around 4 kg in a few months. Can you please help and tell me what is the problem?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For low hemoglobin further workup needed in form of peripheral smear examination, serum ferritin estimation, and serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) estimation to classify your anemia. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) can be high because of any non-specific ...  Read Full

Can we use Tramadol and Acetaminophen for viral fever?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother, who is 27 years old, is having viral fever and the temperature was 103 degrees Fahrenheit since yesterday night. He has been complaining of slight fever for the past five days. We had blood tests and the urine test done yesterday and both were normal. We are using the followi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. There is no role of Tramadol and Acetaminophen in treating fever. This may help just in body pain if associated. I suppose that he should continue with Paracetamol 650 mg 6 to 8 hourly along with Amoxicillin for fever. For chest con...  Read Full