Q. Can high lipoprotein and hs-CRP cause cardiac problems?

Dr. Anoop Mathew
Published on Feb 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2019

I had high hs-CRP of 3.86 around 8 months back. I have got it rechecked and it has gone even higher to 5.36. I have attached the reports of blood test done a couple of days back. This blood test report includes other tests too apart from hs-CRP. I have previously been advised that high lipoprotein and hs-CRP can cause cardio related issues. How do I get the hs-CRP back into range? And do I need to go for further checkup to find the actual cause of inflammation? I have no other medical condition except lower back pain. Please suggest.

Dr. Anoop Mathew

Cardiology
#

I understand your concern regarding the raised hs-CRP (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein) and lipoprotein levels (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

These biomarkers are predictors of future events. They tell you that there is an inflammatory state that is going on and that will contribute to your blood vessels to the heart and brain possibly getting blocked. So, you need to take steps to prevent a heart attack in the future.

They have done a study called JUPITER (Justification for the Use of Statins in Prevention : an Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin) where they used an anti-cholesterol medicine called Rosuvastatin 20 mg for patients like you with a raised CRP and normal cholesterol levels. They have found it causes a 50% reduction in future heart attacks.

You may benefit by taking tablet Rosuvas (Rosuvastatin) or Rozat 10 mg once daily for at least 2 years. This will prevent heart attacks, stroke and bring down your hs-CRP levels. But you need to also know that there is a very small risk of new onset diabetes for patients taking this drug.

Second you need to change your lifestyle. You need to lose weight. Just going on medications is not the answer to these diseases. You need to get yourself a personal trainer in a gym and work with him to lose weight. You may also consult a dietitian to reduce your calories. Is there any family history of heart disease? If you smoke, you need to quit smoking at the earliest.

I am a non-smoker, drink once in 2 months and have no family heart issues. Since 8 months I have lower back pain. Past 6 months, I have hand numbness problem. Usually it happens in sleep and it becomes difficult to move my hand. Neurophysician told that it is anxiety related. This usually settles down with Clonotril. Can this be related to high hs-CRP? Is there any further test required at the moment which can more specifically tell where exactly the inflammation is? How regularly should I get my hs-CRP checked?

Dr. Anoop Mathew

Cardiology
#

It is a generalized state if there is inflammation in your body, rather than a specific infection, that is causing the raised hs-CRP. So, you do not need to undertake further tests unless you develop new symptoms.

Drinking in strict moderation is fine. You may recheck the hs-CRP three months after starting the medicine that I suggested.

Hand numbness is unrelated to the hs-CRP; it may be due to overweight or due to you sleeping with your hand placed under your head causing compression at the wrist.

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). As far as your questions are concerned, the following are my answers. Just go on an empty stomach so that if required, they can do an endoscopy. All the tests can be performed on an empty stomach. I personal...  Read Full

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full

Is heart attack genetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. My father who is 65 years old has suffered from two very severe heart attacks, one recently and another two years back. His father and brother both died in their 50s from heart attacks. Is heart attack genetic? Should my son and I get tested?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, heart attack has a genetic component coupled with environmental elements like lifestyle, etc. Your chance of acquiring it depends on both of your parents. Likewise, your son acquiring it depends on you and your husband. But you are at an increased risk, so you...  Read Full