Q. My 1. 5 year old baby has low neutrophils and high lymphocytes. Why?

Published on Jun 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2019

My 1.5 year old boy has low neutrophils (17%) and high lymphocytes (74%). He has normal hemoglobin and total WBC. We did this blood test one week after vaccinations. There is no actual complaint, and we did the blood test to check if there is iron deficiency. I have attached the blood report for your reference. Please check.

Hematology Pathology
#

• Lymphocytosis is considered in the child of 1.5 years when the absolute lymphocyte count is more than 9000. Here, it is not more than 9000 in your case. Hence, clinical correlation should be done as temporary viral infection can lead lymphocytosis.
  • So, acknowledge with any significant clinical history about your child for further comment.
  • You can consult a pediatrician for clinical examination with keeping all this in mind. Take care.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

A 21 year old male fainted suddenly after a party. Please guide us.

Query: Hello doctor, This query is regarding a 21 year old male having no health complications in the past who suddenly fainted after a party. We took him to our GP for the check up. The GP found nothing wrong and advised rest. However, we went to the lab on our own and carried out CBC. WBC count was high...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diagnosis in your case is lymphocytosis. The underlying cause for the lymphocytosis should be searched for. For that, a detailed physical examination should be done and liver, spleen and lymph nodes should be palpated. Infectious mononucleosis, viral influenza, h...  Read Full

The CBC report shows high lymphocytes. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I just want to get my brother's CBC annual report checked. Is everything fine? I see lymphocytes little high. Is that dangerous? I am worried and he is actually very healthy and fine last week he had loose motion but now he is fine and fit again.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is fine. Slightly lymphocytes percentage is elevated, but this much variation is acceptable. Also, last week infection might have contributed to this slightly changed percentage, but it is nothing to worry as he is totally asymptomatic. If possible, get this repea...  Read Full

Can Hashimoto's thyroiditis increase lymphocytes after hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had a total thyroidectomy (TT) two years ago and on my pathology report of the thyroid, I have had mild thyroiditis, and I always have high lymphocytes. For one period of about a year, they were raising every month. My Tg and Abt within normal range. I did anti-TPO and my result is ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From what I have seen leukocytes are within normal range as well as hemoglobin, platelets were not reported. From the automatic differential, there is indeed a slight lymphocytosis, but the m...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now