Q. Ferritin level has decreased in spite of taking iron supplements. Should I worry?

Answered by Dr. Parth R Goswami and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Low Ferritin Level or Low Hemoglobin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 21 year old female. Yesterday, doctors have checked my blood. I am visiting a hospital frequently as I have iron deficiency anemia. The thing I am scared about is, my doctor asked me why my ferritin has not increased (just the opposite, it has decreased from 5.79 to 5.77) after three months of taking iron supplements. My other iron levels are at 39 which has increased considering those references. But, that was probably because I did not use the medicine correctly, I was only taking 5 mg a day. Another thing I am worried about is, my lymphocytes kind of got increased in my blood: (52.8) - the reference is 19.4 to 44.9, and the other one is 3.57. My neutrophils kind of decreased too (36.9) and the reference was between 41.0 to 73.0.

In the last week, I had a viral infection as both my parents were sick. Is it why my levels got high? My WBC is 6.77 and RBC is 4.52. My hemoglobin is also increasing actually, last time I checked, it was 11.0 and now it is 11.2. Still low, but it was good to see that it was increasing. My thrombocyte levels got higher again, unfortunately. The first time I was told that I was anemic, my thrombocyte levels were on 485, then in my second blood test (after using iron supplements correctly it decreased to 380. And yesterday, when I checked, it increased to 435 (reference is 156 to 373).

I was also told that I have an infection in my urinary system and he gave me antibiotics. Honestly, I have been always getting suspected about it since my anemia has started. Should I be worried about my condition or is it normal?