Q. Ferritin level has decreased in spite of taking iron supplements. Should I worry?

Published on Aug 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 21 year old female. Yesterday, doctors have checked my blood. I am visiting a hospital frequently as I have iron deficiency anemia. The thing I am scared about is, my doctor asked me why my ferritin has not increased (just the opposite, it has decreased from 5.79 to 5.77) after three months of taking iron supplements. My other iron levels are at 39 which has increased considering those references. But, that was probably because I did not use the medicine correctly, I was only taking 5 mg a day. Another thing I am worried about is, my lymphocytes kind of got increased in my blood: (52.8) - the reference is 19.4 to 44.9, and the other one is 3.57. My neutrophils kind of decreased too (36.9) and the reference was between 41.0 to 73.0.

In the last week, I had a viral infection as both my parents were sick. Is it why my levels got high? My WBC is 6.77 and RBC is 4.52. My hemoglobin is also increasing actually, last time I checked, it was 11.0 and now it is 11.2. Still low, but it was good to see that it was increasing. My thrombocyte levels got higher again, unfortunately. The first time I was told that I was anemic, my thrombocyte levels were on 485, then in my second blood test (after using iron supplements correctly it decreased to 380. And yesterday, when I checked, it increased to 435 (reference is 156 to 373).

I was also told that I have an infection in my urinary system and he gave me antibiotics. Honestly, I have been always getting suspected about it since my anemia has started. Should I be worried about my condition or is it normal?

Hematology Pathology
#

In viral infection, lymphocytosis means increased lymphocytes and neutrophil is relatively low because of increased lymphocytes.

Platelet can be high in iron deficiency anemia. It is not a matter of worry just now.

You can provide your reports to guide you further.

Your hemoglobin level is mildly low and you should be given a good iron-containing medication like Ferrous ascorbate (brand name Orofer that contains 100 mg elemental iron). It should be taken without break for the prescribed duration.

The underlying cause for iron deficiency anemia also should be ruled out like bleeding, parasites infestation, etc.

Repeat your CBC after a few days.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

How to treat iron deficiency anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 13 years old. She is having moderate to severe stomach pain for a year. We thought that it was related to constipation. After a few weeks, my daughter started to have a headache, feeling of dizziness, and shortness of breath. She had a habit of eating ice all the time. Her...  Read Full >>

Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached blood test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your daughter's serum ferritin is low which reflects the low iron stores. Her hemoglobin is low. Her low ferritin levels support it. Her TIBC (total iron binding capaci...  Read Full

Can raw rice addiction result in low hemoglobin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from low hemoglobin levels. I have attached my laboratory test report. I have a habit of eating raw rice, which I am suspecting as the reason for this low count. Kindly have a look and prescribe medicines to increase my hemoglobin levels. I am currently taking Orofer XT one...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chaithanya R
Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think that the raw rice is causing this problem, but you are anemic. You can continue Orofer XT at daily one tablet for three months without missing. Stop taking raw rice. I suggest Albendazole 400 mg one tablet a day as this can kill any worms. Consult your ...  Read Full

What is the maximum iron intake for a man?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, who is 1.8 m tall, and I weigh 106 kg. I have a problem recently. I went to a dentist for an abscess, and I had blood a bit removed, so I felt a bit weak. And finally some days after, I felt I needed iron supplements. I took one 100 mg and then took another 100...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To know about iron overload, get serum ferritin and iron levels checked. In iron-deficiency, an elementary iron of 100 to 200 mg per day is advised. In a normal person, daily allowance is hardly 25 mg per day. You just stop your iron supplements and have these tests...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now