Q. What is the risk of high triglycerides?

Published on Sep 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having high triglycerides around 250 to 500, but very low LDL around 30 to 45 for the last five years. Kindly help. What should I do? I swim five days a week for 20 minutes daily. I am currently on tablet vitamin B12 and Zinc supplement. I have also attached my laboratory reports.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• Increase in triglycerides of this level should be treated with Fenofibrate.
  • I would recommend to reduce potato, rice and sweets. In case you consume alcohol you should quit it.
  • Continue with swimming and in winters do jogging.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What is the reason for such a low LDL and high triglycerides? Is there any risk with this? How to get Fenofibrate? What does very low LDL mean?

#

Hi

• Low LDL is good (LDL- low density lipoprotein). Do not worry about that.
  • But, high triglycerides are not good. It can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.
  • Fenofibrate is widely available. This is a prescription medicine and should be taken under guidance of your family physician.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I have high cholesterol and a fatty liver. Please suggest a diet chart.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male, who has high cholesterol and a fatty liver. In our home, we use groundnut oil for cooking, and I use up to six teaspoons of ghee every day. I consume alcohol twice a day. But now, I have decided to stop alcohol and follow a strict diet. Tell me a diet that I sh...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »

Why was I advised to take Simvastatin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old female. My HDL is 70, LDL 207, cholesterol 288, AST 35, MPV 4.5 and monocyte auto 1.4. All my other readings in my health check are normal. My doctor has prescribed 10 mg of Simvastatin. I do not know whether I should take it or not after I read the side effects. I am ...  Read Full »