Q. Do high eosinophil count and low Hb level indicate allergic reaction?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

The patient is a 27 year old female who has been suffered from hay fever for some years. Now, she has now been referred to the Chest Clinic with breathing difficulties. She has commented that her condition appears to worsen when she visits her friend, who is a cat owner. On examination, she has wheezing sounds in her lungs and inflamed sinuses. Her Hb is low, and eosinophil count is high, but other WBC differential counts, platelets and MCV are normal. I was unsure if the hemoglobin being low is seen with allergies or this could be a wholly separate matter. Are the high level of eosinophil and low Hb related to visit of the cat or indicate something else?

#

• The history and reports are suggestive towards allergic bronchitis, or asthma-like condition. The wheezing is indicative of bronchoconstriction (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Low hemoglobin value evaluated separately with peripheral smear examination and according to PS report, the further workup will be decided.
  • For your allergic condition, I suggest Fexofenadine and Montelukast combination drug for 10 days.
  • For immediate relief from your bronchoconstriction, I suggest nebulization with Levosalbutamol and Budesonide twice daily for three days or MDI (metered dose inhaler) inhaler therapy. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  • You had visited cat owners home, and high eosinophil confirmed the allergy. Low hemoglobin value should be evaluated separately after your examination. Consult a physician for examination with keeping all this in mind.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|