Q. Do high eosinophil count and low Hb level indicate allergic reaction?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

The patient is a 27 year old female who has been suffered from hay fever for some years. Now, she has now been referred to the Chest Clinic with breathing difficulties. She has commented that her condition appears to worsen when she visits her friend, who is a cat owner. On examination, she has wheezing sounds in her lungs and inflamed sinuses. Her Hb is low, and eosinophil count is high, but other WBC differential counts, platelets and MCV are normal. I was unsure if the hemoglobin being low is seen with allergies or this could be a wholly separate matter. Are the high level of eosinophil and low Hb related to visit of the cat or indicate something else?

#

• The history and reports are suggestive towards allergic bronchitis, or asthma-like condition. The wheezing is indicative of bronchoconstriction (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Low hemoglobin value evaluated separately with peripheral smear examination and according to PS report, the further workup will be decided.
  • For your allergic condition, I suggest Fexofenadine and Montelukast combination drug for 10 days.
  • For immediate relief from your bronchoconstriction, I suggest nebulization with Levosalbutamol and Budesonide twice daily for three days or MDI (metered dose inhaler) inhaler therapy. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  • You had visited cat owners home, and high eosinophil confirmed the allergy. Low hemoglobin value should be evaluated separately after your examination. Consult a physician for examination with keeping all this in mind.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

Can Levolin syrup treat a baby cough?

Query: Hello doctor,My 26 months old baby suffers from cough the whole night. She has a cold as well but no fever or spasm of the chest. Should I go for Levolin syrup?  Read Full »

How to cure my father's severe cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 66 years old. He is having severe cough and cold for more than a month. He took Clavam 625 mg for five days. Along with that, he also took Foracort 200 mcg inhaler twice a day and Nasonex inhaler twice a day, but there was no relief. Then, our chest specialist suggested Neb...  Read Full »

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now