Q. I have excessive body hair and obesity. Please help.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Jul 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have had PCOS for over a decade now. I initially saw a gynecologist who tried oral contraceptive pills, microgynon, and spironolactone. She did a battery of blood tests and ultrasounds to confirm I have the condition. A general physician prescribed Metformin a few years back. All of the medications had little to no effect. Recently, I was referred to an endocrinologist and it was discovered that I have a missing 21 hydroxylase enzyme. Other tests were done but were normal. My cortisol was fine. However, my testosterone levels were high and it was found that I was indeed Insulin resistant.

The endocrinologist has put me back on Metformin 500 mg, three times daily and has requested that I return and see them in six months. I suffer from severe hirsutism, thinning of hair on the scalp, and obesity. Despite me being active and having a fairly good diet, it has been extremely difficult to lose weight. I cannot help but think that they have missed something. Can you have adrenal hyperplasia with insulin resistance? They have said no more to me with regards to the missing enzyme. None of the doctors seem to be able to treat my condition.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have a 21-hydroxylase deficiency and that causes an excess of testosterone and androstenedione causing virilization of females and PCOS. This is the cause of your hirsutism and insulin resistance as well.

The treatment of Metformin is alright, but you also need oral contraceptives to combat these excess androgens produced. The missing enzyme cannot be replaced. Only the resultant issues arising from its deficiency can be dealt with. Since your cortisol was fine, the doctors are not worried about the missing enzyme anymore.

Yes, you can have adrenal hyperplasia and insulin resistance together.

Please try to exercise as well as to lose some weight as it helps with your symptoms.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Why is the DHEA level high and what does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 15 years old and she has high levels of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone). In the first test, it was 641 and 381 in the second test. She took her test when she had periods, normal testosterone and thyroid antibodies. She always had a deep voice and body hairs on her chest and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your daughter. It appears that your daughter has irregular menses and hirsutism which is mostly due to polycystic ovarian disease. DHEA means dehydroepiandrosterone. The levels are usually raised in two conditions: Polycystic ovarian d...  Read Full

Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene). Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Metformin is a very effective medicine in PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) treatment. It reduces weight, increases sensitivity to insulin and decreases androgen level. All these effects are helpful in the treatment of PCOD. But as you say it is not effective in your ...  Read Full

Please suggest some siddha medicine for PCOD and hirsutism.

Query: Hi doctor, I have symptoms of pcod. I have excess facial and body hair along with acne and irregular menstrual cycle. It takes two to three months between a cycle. When menstruation occurs, it will last for up to two weeks. Please suggest me some siddha medicine and diet to cure the pcod problem and...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eagambaram Jaganathan
Siddha Medicine Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all you must take purgation for PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) and hirsutism after that you should start with medication. All siddha medications are not practically available. Some medicines are mixed in combination and are prepared by ourselves for bette...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now