Q. What are the chances of HIV transmission through mosquitoes?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
Published on Aug 10, 2017

Regarding the transmission of HIV by mosquitoes, I have following query. I know the virus does not survive in insects, but what if some mosquito bites a very high viral load HIV-infected person and then bites an uninfected person on his wound, who crushes it on his wound. If the above situation happens at three or four places on his body simultaneously by an HIV-infected mosquito, what is the possibility of HIV transmission by this method?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

It is good that you have an interest in HIV transmission.

• If there had been HIV transmission from mosquito bites, you could have imagined the situation on our planet earth. Unlike other mosquito-borne diseases, HIV is unable to replicate in the gut of the mosquito, so it's life cycle breaks down.
  • Research has shown low infectivity and short survival of HIV in mosquitoes.

Hope your query is answered, but if you have any other question, please do not hesitate to ask or call anytime.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Is the HIV RNA test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full »

Please suggest some ayurveda medicine for chikungunya?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom and my 15 year old sister are suffering from chikungunya. Please suggest some ayurveda remedies or medicine for chikungunya. Also, please suggest any preventive medicines as well.  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now