Q. I have severe body pain. Is it a symptom of HIV?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

What is the window period for HIV? I was tested negative on the 95th day after a possible exposure. But, I have all symptoms, like headaches, increase appetite, weight gain, body pains, and a blood vessel broke in my eye. I am having a lot of body pain. What are the symptoms of HIV? Please help.

#

• The window period is the time taken for antibodies to develop against infection and get detected by a test. During the window period, the test might come false negative, even though a person might be infected. But, your HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) negative result at the 95th day is highly conclusive.
  • Headaches could have multiple reasons. Get your general physical examination including eye examination and BP (blood pressure) monitoring done. 
  • A good appetite is a sign of good health. Generalized body aches again could have multiple causes, and a general physical examination will help. Symptoms generally appear for a short duration after the HIV infection. This is then followed by a long symptom-free period.
  • An eye examination will help to rule out local eye problem. If you are so worried, get your repeat HIV test at six months of exposure, which I am sure will be negative in your case.

Best wishes.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|