Q. Do I have a chance to get HIV due to vaginal fluid indirectly touched my penis?

Answered by
Dr. Meha Malhotra
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2021

Hi doctor,

I did not insert my penis. But some of her vaginal fluid got spilled on my underwear. I am afraid that whether this liquid may have touched my penis. Will I get affected by HIV?



Welcome to

Kindly send some details to help you. Please mention when you had this episode. Please mention whether you know the girl. Please mention whether you had oral or anal intercourse. Please mention whether you used protection while doing it. Please mention whether you have any other symptoms.

Thank you doctor,

I do not know the girl. I did not have any oral or anal intercourse. The girl was sitting on my lap without her panties. But I was wearing my underwear. Her vaginal fluid got spilled on my underwear by mistake. I am not sure whether the liquid touched my penis by passing through my underwear. I did not even kiss her on her lips. I followed some sort of distance from her. But now, I have a fever and I consulted a doctor. The doctor told me it as a urinary infection. I am not able to sleep after having this event. I will never do these things again in my life. I have attached my blood and urine report. Kindly suggest.



Welcome back to

As her vaginal fluid did not touch your penis directly, then the chances of having HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) are very less. But to be on the safer side, you can do an HIV PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test soon and do an ELISA test (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) for HIV 1 and 2 after 12 weeks of exposure. If your results are negative, then there is nothing to be worried. UTI (urinary tract infection) presents with a burning sensation while passing urine and fever. You have started taking treatment for it. Watch out for other symptoms like anorexia, weight loss, fever, weakness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and joint pain for the next three months as there are the early signs of HIV. From next time onwards, use protection while doing it.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
HIV 1 and 2 are nonreactive 28 days after exposure. Should I repeat it later?

HIV infection has a window period of one to three months during which these test results may be false negative ...   Read full

I had protected sex with a CSW. Am I infected with HIV?

.. have no chance of getting HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), there is no point in worrying about it in further. After a month, you can do an HIV PCR RNA test to confirm it. For the time being, there is no point in thinking about it even if the gi...   Read full

I had protected sex with two female partners. Am I infected with HIV?

.. to your queries are as follows: If you had sex with a latex condom, used properly, separate for each act, separate for both the partners and it did not break or slip, then it was a protected act. It not only prevents HIV (human immunodeficiency v...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Malaria Prevention Using Monoclonal Antibodies
A recent phase 1 study proved monoclonal antibodies effective in preventing malaria. Read the article to know more.  Read more»
Surgical Ostomy - Types, Causes, Procedure, and Complications
This article briefly discusses ostomy, a surgical procedure where an opening is created between the segment of the gastr...  Read more»
Rotavirus Infection - Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Rotaviruses are among the most common causes of severe diarrhoeal disease in young children worldwide. Read the article ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.