Q. Does combo test detect p24 antigen for HIV-2?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I have some concerns regarding HIV testing. Please answer my questions below regarding the same. Does HIV combo test detect p24 antigen for HIV-2? Do combo tests and antibody tests detect all subtypes and strains of HIV? Can a PCR test detect all subtypes of HIV?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Based on your attached report (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) combo test, it can detect both 1 and 2 types of HIV virus. As I can see, it is a negative report. So you can consider yourself free from HIV if tested after six weeks of exposure. Yes, available tests for HIV detects all types of strains prevalent in your area. The polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test also detects all kinds of viruses.

I hope this has helped you.

Thank you for your response.

I had sex with a sex worker. Therefore, I was concerned about HIV-2 as well. You earlier said that combo tests detect both 1 and 2 types of HIV, is this statement about p24 antigen or antibodies? Does it detect HIV-2 antigen? Could you please clarify it for another time?

#

Yes, I did mention that the test report attached detected both HIV-1 and HIV-2. It is written in your report as well. Additionally, it also detects both p24 antigen and antibodies

I hope this answers your questions.

Thank you for your response.

Does the combo test detect p24 antigen for HIV-2? Could you please clarify this to me once again?

#

Yes, it detects both p24 antigens as well antibodies.

Thank you for your response.

I was confused about HIV-2 and p24 antigen detection. I saw that combo tests detect only HIV-1 antigen on the internet, so I decided to talk to experts. After four months, I went through PCR tests for HIV-1 and HIV-2, which were negative. So does PCR report rule out all subtypes and strains of HIV?

#

As per my knowledge and after seeing the attached reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), they mentioned that they used a kit of PCR test that detects both HIV-1 and HIV-2 molecule that is both antigen and antibody. The combo test detects p24 antigen and antibody. Hence, these testing kits detect all types of HIV.

Thank you for your response.

Apart from this, I have had a sore tongue for the last four months. It has been this way for 7 to 10 weeks now. I took vitamin B complex and folic acid tablets but could not see any improvement. Can you advise me in this regard?

#

Tongue bite, vitamin B12 deficiency are some causes of sore tongue. You should drink a lots of cold water. Avoid spicy and hot food. Treat acidity with Rabeprazole and rinse your mouth with salt water. If no improvements are seen further, you need to consult an otorhinolaryngologist for a detailed evaluation.

Thank you for your response.

If we talk only about detection of p24 antigen of HIV-2 in earlier days, like within two months, can it be be detected by combo test? I am sorry for repeating the question but I am not asking about the antibodies but only the antigens.

#

Yes, the combo test mainly uses the principle of chemiluminescent immunoassay (CMIA) especially, and it can detect p24 antigen and antibody after six weeks of exposure.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thank you for your response.

I have one question regarding the testing. I got to know about groups N and O of HIV. Can these groups be detected in the combo test? Can a PCR test detect these groups too? Which test can precisely detect them? Could you please answer these questions of mine?

#

Groups N and O are subtypes of HIV-1. There are two types of HIV that is HIV-1 and HIV-2, and N, O are subtypes of HIV-1. Combo chemiluminescent immunoassay (CMIA) detects HIV-1 and HIV-2. In India and Africa, HIV-1 is more common. So you need not worry about geographical areas. Your test is quite sensitive and accurate in detecting HIV-1 and HIV-2. Additionally, PCR detects the genetic material of HIV. Hence, with these two tests, both groups can be detected.

I hope this clarifies your doubts.

Thank you for your response.

I had sex with a sex worker. I am afraid of these P and N groups of HIV-1. My combo tests were conducted for the PCR test. The sample was sent to India. Moreover, I saw two articles on the internet regarding combo tests. One says the combo test does not detect N and P groups of HIV-1 second says it can detect these two as well, so I am confused. And regarding PCR testing, as you said, it detects genetic material, will this be the same for groups of HIV-1? Can ELISA antibodies test detect these P and N groups?

#

As per my knowledge combo and enzyme-linked immunoassay (ELISA), the new generation test kits detect HIV-1 and all subgroups. Genetic material that is ribonucleic acid (RNA) is usually the same in all groups. So, with PCR and combo test results, you can consider yourself free from HIV. Some old kits were not able to detect certain subgroups of HIV. But the latest one does that job.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

|