P24 Antigen

Is p24 HIV test conclusive after 28 days of exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old man. Recently, I was tested for complete STD checkup with TORCH test. I have a few doubts: Are HIV 1 and 2 with p24 duo test after 28 days window period conclusive? My result is nonreactive. I got a positive result for rubella. CMV and HSV 1 and 2 IgG positive but...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fourth generation p24 anti-HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody is conclusive after a window of two to three weeks. So a negative result at 28 days is reliable. A positive IgG (immunoglobulin G) for HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2 means you have an old in...  Read Full »

Are the results of Elisa test for HIV screening reliable?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been tested for HIV 1 and 2 many times. My tests are 10 weeks card test negative. 12 weeks Elisa serum test negative. 14 weeks Elisa serum and p24 test negative. 16 weeks Elisa serum test negative. 23 weeks Elisa serum and p24 test negative. Is HIV is still my risk?...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understood your concern and I have viewed the images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your HIV screening tests are conclusive. A screening test at and after three months mark from risk exposure is considered final and conclusive. There is no need...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-l...  Read Full »

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymp...  Read Full »

How accurate is the HIV test at 11 weeks?

Query: Hello doctor,I had cunnilingus with an escort. After this encounter, I had an RNA PCR test at 15 days and anti-HIV 1 and 2 as well as p24 antigen test after two, four, six, eight and 11 weeks. All the results were negative. But, while some websites say that the result is conclusive after eight wee...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and have noted your concern. HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody screening test is highly sensitive at four weeks and thereafter. It accurately detects a majority (95 % sensitivity) of HIV-infected patients. However, in case of a ...  Read Full »

How Accurate Is Cmia Test?

Query: Hi doctor,I had one sexual incidence. After 175 and 180 days, I got tested with CMIA technique. Please check my reports and suggest whether these are conclusively negative. How accurate is CMIA test?  Read Full »

Dr. Sarada Nagoti

Pathologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Both the tests show a non-reactive result, which indicates that your reports are fine.Chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay (CMIA) test is a reliable, accurate and standard method. It tests for P24 antigen as well as antibodies to HIV1 and 2. The accuracy of this te...  Read Full »

Can HIV test be reactive with negative antibodies?

Query: Hello doctor, If you have an HIV test done and it is reactive but the antibodies test is negative, what does this mean?  Read Full »

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It might be due to the HIV test detecting the HIV antigen (p24), and the antibody test might still be in the window period (meaning, the antibodies against HIV have not been formed in the body yet). In any infection, the infection produces its antigen, and later when a...  Read Full »

Can p24 antigen test help in early detection of HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 19 days, I had protected sex with a part-time sex worker and freaked out after the incident. I am worried about any possible infection that could happen. I did a p24 antigen test. The results are p24 antigen on fourth day-0.125, sixth day-0.254, ninth day-0.271, twelfth day-0.274, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the titer of p24 is increased, but still, it is below the threshold value of being positive. Also, your PCR RNA done after two weeks is also negative. Your HIV 1 and HIV 2 tests done on the nineteenth day is also negative. It indicates that you do not have any inf...  Read Full »

I performed oral sex right after getting scaling done. What is my risk of HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, A few weeks ago, I had oral sex with a female sex worker. I did oral sex initially after I came from scaling. I had bleeding from my gums. The bleeding was purely from the clean instruments used. I performed oral sex on her only around the clitoris region on the outside. She wiped hersel...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Are you aware of the HIV status of your partner? A raw wound (gums after cleaning) can contract an infection. Even though the vaginal area is dry, there is always some fluid discharge from that place. You can get a blood test for STD (sexually transmitted disease) panel...  Read Full »

Can unprotected sex with CSW cause HIV and STI's?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an unprotected sex with a CSW before four months back. She gave me an oral sex, then we had vaginal sex without a condom. I had done HIV 1 and 2 antibody test (ELISA) and p24 antigen test on the 98th day after the exposure. Two weeks back (at the 15th week, I had a fever, sore thro...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your test for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is conclusive (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is no further exposure other than that you mentioned, no more test for HIV screening is required. There is no specific category of rash through whic...  Read Full »