P24 Antigen

Is it necessary to take fourth-generation test even if other HIV tests are negative?

Query: Hello doctor,I had protected exposure followed by P24 antigen after 33 days, fourth-generation P24 Ag, HIV 1 and 2 antibodies (CMIA) after 38 days, and then tridot after 93 days. All reports were negative for all the tests. As all the reports are negative and protected exposure, can my HIV status be...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: As you mentioned that it was protected sex, and there was no break or slippage of the condom. The risk of acquisition of HIV in this scenario is non-existent. It is great that your HIV test report at both time points is negative. If the...  Read Full »

Does realtime viral load HIV test result reliable?

Query: Hello doctor, Is real time viral load reliable for HIV test after 14 days of sex encounter? I got normal result. I also did p24 on 15th day and get negative result. Now can I be safe from HIV? I use two condoms at the same time during intercourse and I do not know my partner's HIV status. With othe...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: If you had used the condom consistently and correctly, changed for each sexual act with one person, and it did not break or slipped off during the act and you removed it while the penis is still not soft, your risk of HIV is nonexistent...  Read Full »

Kindly check my HIV reports and explain.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a possible low risk exposure a year back which is about 53-54 days before this day, this has wrecked my life, the exposure can be best described as follows and I apologize for the graphic nature of the same, no penetration, no oral sex, but the unprotected penis has touched th...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1) Yes, the test is conclusive although antibodies take some time to develop. 2) It is good that at least you know your baseline HIV status. 3) You can go for repeat test at three months although the risk was minimal. 4) In future, I suggest you to use precautions...  Read Full »

Is p24 HIV test conclusive after 28 days of exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old man. Recently, I was tested for complete STD checkup with TORCH test. I have a few doubts: Are HIV 1 and 2 with p24 duo test after 28 days window period conclusive? My result is nonreactive. I got a positive result for rubella. CMV and HSV 1 and 2 IgG positive but...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fourth generation p24 anti-HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody is conclusive after a window of two to three weeks. So a negative result at 28 days is reliable. A positive IgG (immunoglobulin G) for HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2 means you have an old in...  Read Full »

Are the results of Elisa test for HIV screening reliable?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been tested for HIV 1 and 2 many times. My tests are 10 weeks card test negative. 12 weeks Elisa serum test negative. 14 weeks Elisa serum and p24 test negative. 16 weeks Elisa serum test negative. 23 weeks Elisa serum and p24 test negative. Is HIV is still my risk?...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understood your concern and I have viewed the images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your HIV screening tests are conclusive. A screening test at and after three months mark from risk exposure is considered final and conclusive. There is no need...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-l...  Read Full »

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymp...  Read Full »

How accurate is the HIV test at 11 weeks?

Query: Hello doctor,I had cunnilingus with an escort. After this encounter, I had an RNA PCR test at 15 days and anti-HIV 1 and 2 as well as p24 antigen test after two, four, six, eight and 11 weeks. All the results were negative. But, while some websites say that the result is conclusive after eight wee...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and have noted your concern. HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody screening test is highly sensitive at four weeks and thereafter. It accurately detects a majority (95 % sensitivity) of HIV-infected patients. However, in case of a ...  Read Full »

How Accurate Is Cmia Test?

Query: Hi doctor,I had one sexual incidence. After 175 and 180 days, I got tested with CMIA technique. Please check my reports and suggest whether these are conclusively negative. How accurate is CMIA test?  Read Full »

Dr. Sarada Nagoti

Pathologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Both the tests show a non-reactive result, which indicates that your reports are fine.Chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay (CMIA) test is a reliable, accurate and standard method. It tests for P24 antigen as well as antibodies to HIV1 and 2. The accuracy of this te...  Read Full »

Can HIV test be reactive with negative antibodies?

Query: Hello doctor, If you have an HIV test done and it is reactive but the antibodies test is negative, what does this mean?  Read Full »

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It might be due to the HIV test detecting the HIV antigen (p24), and the antibody test might still be in the window period (meaning, the antibodies against HIV have not been formed in the body yet). In any infection, the infection produces its antigen, and later when a...  Read Full »