ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Q. Is ELISA test reliable?

Answered by
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 29 years old. I had protected sex with a call girl before five months. But, I want to confirm whether I was infected with any disease. I have read on the internet that window period for HIV is three months and hence to confirm I have undergone HIV testing called ELISA. The result of which is non-reactive and the value is 0.062. Again, now I repeated the test and it showed result as non-reactive with the value of 0.104. The two reports have been attached here. Regarding symptoms, I did not develop any fever or allergy in the last four months. Is ELISA test reliable? Is there any need for me to take any other test or repeat the test? Can I stop worrying as I have already covered window period? Why did the test show some value like 0.6 and 0.104? Does it indicate the presence of any disease? What is the window period? Please help me in detail as I am much worried.

ADVERTISEMENT
#

Hi,

Welcome to icliniq.com.

Let me answer one by one.

  • Yes, ELISA is highly reliable (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). It has got the sensitivity of 99.97% after three months of exposure, which means out of 10,000 HIV positive people it can rightly level 9,997 people as HIV positive.
  • There is no need to repeat any test or opt for further test. You can consider it as confirmatory.
  • Testing at six months is only recommended for those who has taken post-exposure prophylaxis with 72 hours of HIV exposure.
  • There is no need to worry. If the condom was intact during sex, then you are not even at risk.
  • Values does not matter as long as you are non-reactive and no two values of any test can be exactly the same, all have some technical limitations.
  • Window period is four weeks in more than 95% infected people and for remaining 5% it can extend up to three months. 
  • If you still want to get tested, then go for HIV RT-PCR (reverse transcriptase - polymerase chain reaction). It will detect any HIV virus element if present, but in my personal opinion you do not need this.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist


Was this answer helpful?

 | 

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!



Related Questions:
HIV 1 and 2 are nonreactive 28 days after exposure. Should I repeat it later?

HIV infection has a window period of one to three months during which these test results may be false negative ...   Read full

What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

.. depends on the kit and the instrument used. For more information consult a microbiologist online --> .. ...   Read full

Are my symptoms due to HIV infection? I had a high-risk exposure 15 months ago.

.. kits used to diagnose HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. The majority of the people who are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) develop antibodies by three months, and even in the rare instances of late ...   Read full

ADVERTISEMENT

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read


Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.