Q. Is there a chance of HSV transmission through used shisha pipes?

Dr. Philip Shenouda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 09, 2019

I want to clarify something regarding a recent incident I had. I was smoking shisha at a shisha lounge. The waiter delivered the shisha to my table, but before that, he tried it himself, and I smoked it after that. I am worried that any diseases such as HSV1 or HSV2 may be transmitted to me if the waiter has it, I am sure that I did not come into contact with his saliva, but he did put his mouth on the shisha pipe a couple of times to test it. So please clarify this for me.

Dr. Philip Shenouda

Internal Medicine
#

There is a chance that you could acquire HSV1 (herpes simplex virus) from the waiter if he has it. HSV2 is familiar with genital herpes, not the mouth. Unfortunately, blood tests are not sensitive enough to know whether you got the virus or not. In all cases, if you start to show the symptoms which can take few days up to two weeks which are blisters around the mouth, you need to follow-up with it, and appropriate treatment will be prescribed.

HSV1.

| 

So will it take a maximum of two weeks to contact? And if nothing appears in the two weeks will I be fine?

Dr. Philip Shenouda

Internal Medicine

Will I get a sore on my genitals during every HSV-1 outbreak?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with HSV-1, but all other tests like HIV, HBsAg, HCV, VDRL, and TPHA are normal. I got infected with HSV through oral sex. My first outbreak was about four months back, and I got sores in the genital area, mouth, head, and my waist. Recently, a sore has erupted in my mo...  Read Full »

Does HSV IgG positive mean we are infected with that virus?

Query: Hi doctor, As my wife had a failed premature delivery, we both had given for chromosome test. The result showed positive for HSV IgG, rubella IgG and CMV IgG. We are very much bothered. Please tell us the reason for this. Does it mean that we are infected with that virus before? Please clarify.  Read Full »

Does HSV positivity indicate risk of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had an exposure with a CSW and precaution broke during the act. I do not know the HIV status of the girl. Four weeks later, I got a light fever which subsided in a week. I got a blood test that showed 11500 WBC with a bacterial infection. But, I have leg pai...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now