Q. Is there a chance of HSV transmission through used shisha pipes?

Dr. Philip Shenouda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I want to clarify something regarding a recent incident I had. I was smoking shisha at a shisha lounge. The waiter delivered the shisha to my table, but before that, he tried it himself, and I smoked it after that. I am worried that any diseases such as HSV1 or HSV2 may be transmitted to me if the waiter has it, I am sure that I did not come into contact with his saliva, but he did put his mouth on the shisha pipe a couple of times to test it. So please clarify this for me.

Do you have a question on Hsv or Herpes Simplex Virus?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Philip Shenouda

M.B.B.CH.., AMC MCQ., OET
Family Physician General Practitioner

There is a chance that you could acquire HSV1 (herpes simplex virus) from the waiter if he has it. HSV2 is familiar with genital herpes, not the mouth. Unfortunately, blood tests are not sensitive enough to know whether you got the virus or not. In all cases, if you start to show the symptoms which can take few days up to two weeks which are blisters around the mouth, you need to follow-up with it, and appropriate treatment will be prescribed.

HSV1.

So will it take a maximum of two weeks to contact? And if nothing appears in the two weeks will I be fine?

Dr. Philip Shenouda

M.B.B.CH.., AMC MCQ., OET
Family Physician General Practitioner

Yes, exactly you are correct.

Also Read Answers From: Hsv Herpes Simplex Virus

Will I get a sore on my genitals during every HSV-1 outbreak?
Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with HSV-1, but all other tests like HIV, HBsAg, HCV, VDRL, and TPHA are normal. I got infected with HSV through oral sex. My first outbreak was about four months back, and I got sores in the genital area, mouth, head, and my waist. Recently, a sore has erupted in my mo...  Read Full »
Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Repeated outbreak of HSV (herpes simplex virus) are common, but repeated outbreaks are usually shorter and less severe. Although the organism stays in the body for the rest of your life, the number of outbreaks tends to decrease over a period of years.  At the time of...  Read Full »

Does HSV IgG positive mean we are infected with that virus?
Query: Hi doctor, As my wife had a failed premature delivery, we both had given for chromosome test. The result showed positive for HSV IgG, rubella IgG and CMV IgG. We are very much bothered. Please tell us the reason for this. Does it mean that we are infected with that virus before? Please clarify.  Read Full »
Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your karyotyping were normal and it gives the meaning of no chromosomal abnormalities (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Coming to IgG positive test, when you contract a viral infection or after vaccination, the antibody produced ...  Read Full »

Does HSV positivity indicate risk of HIV?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had an exposure with a CSW and precaution broke during the act. I do not know the HIV status of the girl. Four weeks later, I got a light fever which subsided in a week. I got a blood test that showed 11500 WBC with a bacterial infection. But, I have leg pai...  Read Full »
Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, do not panic. Your results till now are highly suggestive (but not 100 % confirmatory) of you being HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) negative. Please note: Getting triple ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) with p24 Ag test every few days will not...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now