Q. Is it safe to take Atarax when pregnant?

Dr. Richa Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

My wife is four months pregnant now. She has itchy palms. The doctor advised to take tablet Atarax 25 mg (Hydroxyzine hydrochloride). Is it safe to have this tablet during pregnancy? Kindly guide.

#

Congratulations on her pregnancy. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.

• Yes, antihistamines are considered safe during pregnancy. As it is prescribed in a very low dose and she is in her second trimester, she can consume it, but not for a longer duration.

For further clarifications consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|