Q. Is it safe to take Atarax when pregnant?

Dr. Richa Agarwal
Published on Mar 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

My wife is four months pregnant now. She has itchy palms. The doctor advised to take tablet Atarax 25 mg (Hydroxyzine hydrochloride). Is it safe to have this tablet during pregnancy? Kindly guide.

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Congratulations on her pregnancy. I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.

• Yes, antihistamines are considered safe during pregnancy. As it is prescribed in a very low dose and she is in her second trimester, she can consume it, but not for a longer duration.

For further clarifications consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Why is the lymph node in my throat swollen and painful?

Query: Hello doctor, My right lymph node on my throat is swollen and my throat hurts on the right side but is not scratchy. I have had this for four days with no other symptoms. I was recently on multiple antibiotics for a bacterial infection but am no longer on them. I am female, 19 years old, 115 lbs. O...  Read Full »

My mom took 40 mg of Geodon accidentally. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My mom took 40 mg of Geodon accidentally and has also taken the following medicines that are on severe interaction list with Geodon in the last 24 hours. Zithromax, Codeine, thyroid medicines, Omeprazole, Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide. She is sleeping now for 3.5 hours after taki...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for sudden red patches on my baby's skin?

Query: Hi doctor, There are sudden red patches on the skin of my 5 months old baby. He had mild fever the previous day and loose motions before that. There is no other noticeable symptom. Crocin and Atarax drops have been given. Same thing happened two days ago and the almost entire upper body had turned r...  Read Full »