Q. Are these medicines sufficient to control hypertension?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

For controlling my hypertension, I was prescribed Benicar 40/12.5 mg once in the morning, Amlodipine 5 mg twice a day and Clonidine once in the evening. These were prescribed after ECG and blood work. Even, after taking the medication, my BP is usually 160/85 mmHg. What to do further. Please advise.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to highlight a few important points here:

Amlodipine should be used once daily. Instead of taking 5 mg twice daily you should take 10 mg once daily, which is the maximum dose.

Clonidine on the other side can actually cause rebound hypertension, which can explain your high blood pressure. It should be the last resort of the treatment of hypertension.

It would be nice to know the dose that you are taking these days. I would like to know when did you take your blood pressure and if you follow a low salt diet.

Benicar - Olmesartan is a good medication. Please consult your specialist doctor and discuss my opinion.

I would like to know if you have any other medical conditions like diabetes, stroke, high cholesterol or a heart attack to determine your blood pressure goal according to the latest guidelines.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Related Video

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full »

Kindly review and explain my lipid profile and liver test.

Query: Hello doctor, I need you to please analyze my lipid profile and liver test where I can see that a few numbers are at a very high end. Currently, I am taking following medicines Rosuvastatin 10 mg one tablet daily, Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg one tablet daily. I am a chain smoker and smoke average 20 t...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »