Q. Are these medicines sufficient to control hypertension?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 20, 2020

For controlling my hypertension, I was prescribed Benicar 40/12.5 mg once in the morning, Amlodipine 5 mg twice a day and Clonidine once in the evening. These were prescribed after ECG and blood work. Even, after taking the medication, my BP is usually 160/85 mmHg. What to do further. Please advise.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to highlight a few important points here:

Amlodipine should be used once daily. Instead of taking 5 mg twice daily you should take 10 mg once daily, which is the maximum dose.

Clonidine on the other side can actually cause rebound hypertension, which can explain your high blood pressure. It should be the last resort of the treatment of hypertension.

It would be nice to know the dose that you are taking these days. I would like to know when did you take your blood pressure and if you follow a low salt diet.

Benicar - Olmesartan is a good medication. Please consult your specialist doctor and discuss my opinion.

I would like to know if you have any other medical conditions like diabetes, stroke, high cholesterol or a heart attack to determine your blood pressure goal according to the latest guidelines.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|