Q. Why is the opening of my penis not at the tip?

Answered by
Dr. Choudhary Devendra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 27 years old, and I have an embarrassing problem with my penis. The opening of my penis, from where the urine comes out is not at the tip, and it is slightly lower. I am still a virgin. Will it be a problem for my sex life? Is it a major problem?



Welcome to

Good that you have come out with your issue.

  • This is called hypospadias. But from your description, it appears subcoronal, that is, it is not very severe, as you can manage your stream. Kindly share a picture of your erect penis from the side and below, to see the curvature and to know the location of the meatus.
  • This does not affect erection and sex if there is no bending of the penis. If it is subcoronal meatus, then you can deposit your semen inside your wife's vagina. But in severe forms, the semen will come out, and it will require repair.

If there is a cosmetic concern, then you may get it corrected. But I can comment on the overall scenario only after looking at the picture.

Revert with more information to a urologist online -->

Hi doctor,

Thank you very much for replying. I have attached pictures for your better understanding.



Welcome back to

I have seen all the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it looks like a very different problem.

  • Does your prepuce balloon while passing urine? Are you able to expose your glans penis?
  • This looks like phimosis with atypical presentation of ventral opening. You need circumcision with hypospadias in mind. Circumcision is a very simple procedure.

For more information consult a urologist online -->

Hello doctor,

Thank you for replying. Yes, my foreskin bulges while urinating, and I am not able to expose my glans penis. Is this something serious? What is the cause for this? How long will it take for recovery after circumcision? Is it fine if I get it done after my wedding?



Welcome back to

  • I suggest you get a circumcision done before your wedding. It will take five days to normalize, and you can have sex or masturbate after six weeks. It is nothing serious, and it is just simple phimosis.

For more information consult a urologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

Can you please suggest a doctor or a hospital, to get the circumcision done? How long will it take to heal? Do I need to get admitted?



Welcome back to

  • Go to any urologist or a general surgeon, he or she will do the surgery nicely. It will require you to get admitted to the hospital for a day. And the healing will take a week. There is no restriction to work, but masturbation needs to be avoided for six weeks.

For further queries consult a urologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Why is the opening of my penis not at the tip?

You need circumcision with hypospadias in mind ... Circumcision is a very simple procedure ... Hi doctor, I am 27 years old, and I have an embarrassing problem with my peni...   Read full


Hypospadias (Instead of at the tips, the urethral opening is under the penis) ...   Read full

Phimosis (Tight Foreskin): Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments

If a male is circumcised, then the condition of phimosis does not occur ... What Are Phimosis and Paraphimosis ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.