Q. I have pain all over the body with numbness and tingling sensation in right hand. Kindly help.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2021

I am experiencing pain all over the body, numbness and tingling sensation in the right hand, swollen legs and hands, persistent cough, my ears are ringing, vision is blurred, distended stomach, open sore inside of the ankle, cluster of black beds under my nails. I always feel tired. I am dealing with these complex issues for ten years. I am currently taking Levothyroxine and Eliquis. Previously, I took the tablet Ivermectin.

Kindly help me to get better.

#

Thank you for the query.

I can understand your concern.

According to your statement and reports (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), you have been suffering from body ache, feeling of numbness and tingling in right hand, ringing in the ears, blurred vision, tiredness, exhaustion, slow mental functions, swollen legs and hands, abdominal distention, separation of fingernails from nail beds, etc. You have recently developed deep vein thrombosis and also a known case of hypothyroidism.

With the pictures provided here and your current clinical presentations, you may suffer from uncontrolled hypothyroidism. It is advisable to do thyroid function tests like serum T3 (triiodothyronine), T4 (thyroxine), TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and do treatment according to the test results. It is possible that your current dose of Levothyroxine may not be able to control your present hypothyroid status.

In case of uncontrolled or severe hypothyroidism, depression, slow mental function, poor memory, tiredness, lethargy, exhaustion, restlessness, irritability, weakness may develop and can worsen over time. Long-term uncontrolled hypothyroidism may cause peripheral neuropathy, and you may experience pain, numbness, and tingling sensation in the affected area. Again, severe or uncontrolled hypothyroidism may cause edema in the hands, legs, or feet and some dermatologic changes such as dry and coarse skin brittle nails, nail splitting, nail lifting, or skin changes in the nail beds.

So, you should undergo thyroid function tests to assess your present thyroid hormones status. You can also do other investigations like CBC (complete blood count), renal function tests, liver functions tests to exclude the other causes. Above mentioned investigations may help to find out the exact underlying causes for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

Take care.

|