Q. I took I-pill after 6th and 14th hour of intercourse. Can I be pregnant?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 06, 2019

I took two I-pills after sixth hour and 14th hour of sexual intercourse. Then, a week later I got vaginal bleeding for five days. Am I pregnant? When can I expect my next periods?

#

• You are not pregnant. Your next period will be by first week of next month.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How long I need to wait for periods? Actually, I am very worried. Since the past seven days, I am feeling pain in upper abdomen, very slow digestion and also have acidity. Are these side effects of I-pill? Or not related to this matter? I did home pregnancy test and got negative result. Which date will assure me that I am not pregnant?

#

The bleeding you experienced in the first week of last month was due to withdrawal effect of I-pill.

There is no chance (<0.01% chance) of pregnancy. Your next period should start by first week of next month.

The symptoms you are experiencing are due to the effect of I-pill, you can take any antacid for symptom relief.

A negative urine pregnancy test again will rule out the pregnancy (provided there was no unprotected sex after last week of last month).

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is ultrasound effective to detect pregnancy at early stage like two to three weeks? If yes, then how? Actually, I am suffering from drastic indigestion from last 14 days and honestly worried. Now, I am much relieved after your positive reply.

#

• Ultrasound is not effective in diagnosing such an early pregnancy if it exists.
  • The earliest positive sign of pregnancy as I told you would be positive urine pregnancy test.
  • But as I already told, pregnancy is very unlikely in your case and there is no need to worry.

|