Q. My partner took i-pill after unprotected sex and got spotting. ls she pregnant?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

We had unprotected sex on 26th June (9th day of her 30 days cycle, two days after periods got over). She took i-pill on 27th June. Today, she spotted some bleeding. We have experienced most of the symptoms given on the internet for early pregnancy. Is it possible for her to be pregnant?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Emergency contraceptive pills are high dose of progesterone hormones, which is the same hormone released in the post-ovulatory phase of the menstrual cycle, and also during the pregnancy. So based on the symptoms it is difficult to predict if these are early pregnancy symptoms or just the symptoms before the onset of the next menstrual cycles. Also, emergency contraceptive pills have know side effects of irregular spotting and bleeding and sometimes delayed periods too.

It would be advisable to check her urine pregnancy test once if the periods do not occur by her expected date (although the chances are minimal as the intercourse was not around the fertile period, and also did not involve ejaculation). If it is negative, just rest assured, and wait for periods as some delay in periods could be a known side effect of the emergency pills.

Also, it would be advisable to take more consistent precautions in the future as repeatedly taking emergency contraceptive pills are not advisable and also not as effective as the regular birth control pills.

|