Q. Should I visit my GP for impacted wisdom tooth?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2021

I have an impacted wisdom tooth. It is half grown on my gum and half on my cheek. I also have a hole next to it. I went to the dentist, and they gave my higher dosage of antibiotic. The dentist sent a letter last year to the hospital for surgery. This time he resent it and said it would take time to get it scheduled. I am feeling pain. Also, my ears and throat are in pain, and I do not hear well on the right side. Should I visit my GP? Can they help in any way to speed up the surgery?

#

• The ear and throat pain is definitely due to the impacted lower molar tooth.
  • It is not half grown but only half seen in your gums. The remaining tooth structure is down below inside the bone.
  • Because it is tilted on to one side, it should be pushing the adjacent tooth, and that is again a cause of pain on that side of the jaw for you.
  • A general practitioner will not be able to help you out. You should visit an oral surgeon who is the person trained to remove impacted tooth.
  • Regarding the antibiotics, it is just an add-on to the actual dental treatment. Hence, it is of less use before you get the tooth removed.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|