Q. I have ear fullness, tinnitus, and feeling drunk all the time. Why?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I have ear fullness, tinnitus, and feeling drunk all the time. I had a hearing test. All was normal except at 8000 Hertz it drops to 40 decibels. Would this cause the drunk feeling? One ENT said maybe and the other said no. Please help.

#

You may have Meniere's disease. Restrict salt from your food and drink an adequate amount of water daily. You need to perform a vestibulonystagmography (VNG) to confirm the diagnosis. What is the charatcer of the tinnitus? Is it pulsating or continuous like shshshshshsh or ocean waves or a continuous bell sound? Do you mean the drunk feeing as vertigo, a reeling effect?

I appreciate the follow up!

The drunk feeling is unique. I do not feel like spinning or vertigo, I just feel off and slightly lightheaded.

The tinnitus is like TV static that is continuous. I have had 4-5 audiograms and they all look like the one I sent you.

#

The audiogram you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is not completely normal as one ear shows sensorineural hearing low at high frequency while the other ear is completely normal. Now we have to investigate for a retro choclear lesion. I recommend an MRI for the brain. I also recommend a complete blood picture to exclude anemia as anemia can cause that sense of being drunk with headache. Thank you.

|