Q. Is it advisable to start my IVF treatment amidst this pandemic?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2021

How long does IVF process take with donor eggs? How long it takes to screen the donor? During this COVID-19 second wave outbreak is it good to start IVF cycle?

#

1) IVF (in vitro fertilization) is an intensive process both emotionally and physically. Even if you are using donor eggs, you will have to take hormones in medication and injections to prepare your endometrium to receive the implant. The process usually starts from the first day of your period and serial scans to estimate your endometrial thickness. Once the thickness is optimal (7 mm to 12 mm and trilaminar in character), the transfer is done. The transfer is just 30 minutes process and pain-free. This is usually done on the 14th, 15th, or 16th day of your cycle, depending on the age of the embryo used. The donor is also prepared side by side so that the egg maturation and harvesting occur at the right time and match your cycle.

2) Most hospitals have a legal list of the potential donors in hand who have been screened priorly. They then match your requirement, including height, weight, and skin color. So donor screening will not take time if a matching donor is available. The problem comes when you have specific requirements.

3) There is no indication to stop your fertility treatment on account of COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019). There are no proven ill effects of COVID-19 on pregnancy.

So stay stress-free, take to your fertility specialist and counselors and come up with the best plan of action for you and proceed. All the best.

Thanks for the reply.

I will turn 37 years in three months. My last IVF with my eggs failed when I was 35 years to 36 years. At my age, will IVF with donor eggs be a success? In my last IVF, endometrial thickness was 9 mm, and embryos were blastocyst. Still, it failed. Hydrosalpinx was seen in the left tube, and the doctor said that he would operate on it. Is the surgery of hydrosalpinx critical? Is there a chance of death?

#

I understand the concern. Please attach your previous IVF records and present scan reports. Also, the endometrium of 9 mm thickness is good. It is difficult to predict the success of implantation and pregnancy as a lot of factors are involved. Also, the presence of hydrosalpinx adversely affects pregnancy (this is because of the toxins released by the fluid in the hydrosalpinx, which causes harm to the ovum, sperm, and zygote. Hence it is crucial to get it removed. Hydrosalpinx surgery can be done laparoscopically and, therefore, less pain, less hospital stay, and lesser risk. When done by an experienced surgeon, you will be fine, and there is no increased risk. So do not worry about it. Kindly send me the reports if possible, as this will help me give you a more detailed reply. Stay safe.

|