Subclinical Hypothyroidism

How to treat high TSH levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 62-year-old female. I took a blood test, and my thyroid levels T3 - 129ng/dl, T4 - 9.6ug/dl, and TSH 11.8 ul/ml. Please suggest medicine to cure my thyroid problem.  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your TSH is high and T3, and T4 are normal. It is called subclinical hypothyroidism. You need to take Levothyroxine 25 mcg once daily before breakfast. Take for six weeks, then repeat TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). Your TSH target is 0.5 to 5. Let me know your res...  Read Full »

Please give your opinion about my ANA report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a positive ANA for at least 12 years with no other positive tests for autoimmune disease. My other symptoms are fatigue and some joint pain in hands and knees. Recently, I had a positive ANA of 1:640 speckled pattern with a note saying dense fine speckled pattern is noted. DN...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are fine. Please do not worry as nearly all your reports are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you are taking correct medicines also. As per your ANA (antinuclear antibody) with dense speckled patters is noted, I must say that there are many fa...  Read Full »

Which of the two opinions for my TSH value is correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very concerned about my health. I made an appointment last year with an endocrinologist. I had a laboratory work and my TSH was 3.4. It was considered normal on laboratory ranges. But, my primary doctor said that 3.4 is high on what it should be consider the new normal. My LDL chole...  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Work up of hypothyroidism involves just TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) or TSH and free T4. TT3 (triiodothyronine) or reverse T3 has no role in the diagnosis of hypothyroidism and it is useful in hyperthyroidism. TSH more than 10 is hypothyroidism and definitely need...  Read Full »

What do high TSH with normal T3 and T4 values indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a thyroid issue. My TSH value is 7.24 (range 0.35-5.5) tested last week. Even the same test conducted before seven months shows the value of 7.06. The remaining TT3 and TT4 are in the normal range. Kindly advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your blood tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are overweight. Your HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) is in the pre-diabetic range, but your fasting and postprandial sugar levels are normal. Your HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is quite low...  Read Full »

What medicines can I take for my thyroid problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 year old. Recently I tested my thyroid and the report shows T3 - 1.1, T4- 8.4 and TSH - 6.7. Please advise me which medicine is currently safe for me. My health problem includes fatigue and occasional depression. Also my lips are dry. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

What am I experiencing multiple symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female. In childhood, I had malaria and double typhoid. Everything was normal until few years back. Things started all over again since the last five to six years. I have been putting on weight continuously, suffering from weakness, horrible fatigue and body pain all th...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have what is called subclinical hypothyroidism. It is also a metabolic component of PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). You are doing most things right. Remember there is no magic treatment. Exercise and diet are continuous events that need regular and consistent foll...  Read Full »

Why am I having problems with food digestion and lower abdominal pain?

Query: Hello doctor,I think I suffer from liver and a gastric problem for the past two years. Food is not digested properly. Lower abdomen left side some burning sensation, swelling, and pain were there. Sometimes, I feel the hardness in the lower left abdomen. Bilirubin total is high and bilirubin direct ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your liver tests are normal. The small increase in indirect billirubin alone (as the one you have) most commonly corresponds to Gilbert syndrome, which is totally harmless. This syndrome is hereditary but has no serious consequences. Mild jaundice may appear under co...  Read Full »

My 2.5 months pregnant wife's TSH has reduced. Do we need to reduce Thyronorm dosage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 2.5 months pregnant. She is 29 years old, weighs 46.2 kg and is 4.10 feet tall. She has subclinical hypothyroidism, and her TSH is 12.7. She takes Thyronorm 75 mcg. Recently, we tested her TSH, which was 10.5 and total thyroxine (T4) is 12.4 (reference value is 4.5 to 12). Do ...  Read Full »

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What dose was she taking Thyronorm (Levothyroxine) before? When was the dosage altered last? If the dosage was not reduced recently, that is, in the last 2 to 3 months, then the dose can be reduced to 62.5 mcg daily. Repeat testing would be needed after 4 to 8 weeks of...  Read Full »

My TSH level was 11.768 U/mL, do I have to start taking Synthroid again?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a thyroid test three years back, and my levels were 7.043 U/mL, so I was put on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism. After experiencing some side effects from the Synthroid drug, I discussed alternatives with an endocrinologist. He advised me to stop my medication and retest afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Levothyroxine is one of the safest medicine with as good as no side effects. Earlier you had subclinical hypothyroidism. But, now it has progressed to overt hypothyroidism. You can still wait for another four weeks and repeat the test if it is more than 10 U/mL, you ...  Read Full »

What are the causes of high amylase levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My 50 years old mother's blood report showed the amylase levels to be high. The amylase level is 126, rheumatoid factor is 16, and TSH is 6.275. What do these values indicate? What are the causes for this? What is the treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. From what you have described, it appears that your mother has slightly high serum amylase levels, which could be mild pancreatitis due to high-fat diet or alcohol. You must see an internal medicine specialist for this condition. She also has a sl...  Read Full »