Q. My flu symptoms seem to be getting worse. What should I do to feel better?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I became sick yesterday and it just seems to be getting worse, I can barely stay awake. I have flu symptoms: severe aches in muscles and joints, pain and tiredness around the eyes, weakness or extreme fatigue, warm, flushed skin and red, watery eyes, a headache, sore throat, runny nose and feverish. Plus I have been exposed to the flu by people at work. I am currently on Dayquil and Excedrin.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I can well realize you are worried about your health.

This is a flu season actually and winter started out of nowhere this time. This kind of sudden change in weather leads to more flu cases than a cold weather that kicks in gradually. People are not acclimatized yet, that is why it is highly suggested to observe all precautionary measure at the workplace where close contact with coworkers is inevitable.

Now, as you have got the flu, it can be either due to viral attack or bacterial. Symptoms in both cases overlap but treatment options differ much. We prescribe antibiotics only in case of bacterial infection and to be sure we go for a throat swab test to rule it out.

If on physical examination, the primary care physician feels it is more like a bacterial infection of the throat, he/she may start antibiotics like Amoxicillin or Penicillin, and meanwhile send a throat swab for culture to pathology laboratory. As the results are in hand your doctor may call and let you know if this was a true bacterial infection or not. Medications are adjusted accordingly.

You are taking DayQuil (Acetaminophen, Dextromethorphan, and Pseudoephedrine) and Excedrin (Aspirin, Paracetamol, and Caffeine), that is alright and good to go. I would recommend you to visit your PCP as soon as possible for proper evaluation as discussed above. Meanwhile, keep taking theses medications to keep the symptoms in check, to some extent. Take proper rest and plenty of fluids along with a balanced and healthy diet. Avoid spices, fried and fast foods, sodas, cigarette and excess alcohol. Keep yourself well hydrated.

Hope it helps. Please feel free to ask more if you have further queries or any unanswered point. I would be more than happy to assist you right away.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What tests to take for sore throat so I can get a proper diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from mild headache. I have a sore throat. What reports should I go for so the doctor can get a proper diagnosis for me?  Read Full »

Swine Flu Virus

Article Overview: H1N1 is an influenza A virus which is the causative pathogen for swine flu. There have been seasonal outbreaks every year. The reason being, it is contagious, and mutations in the virus strain put everyone at risk every season. Awareness about this disease and its transmission, prevention, and management is critical to control the spread of the disease. We also need to clarify few myths associated with this disease. Read Article

Dr. Pratyush Kumar
General Medicine Physician

1. What is H1N1 or swine flu virus? H1N1 is an influenza A virus, also called as swine flu virus and it has maximum genes from the swine strain. It represents a quadruple reassortment - two swine strains, and one human as well as avian strain each. 2. How is the illness diagnosed? The illness is ...  Read Article

Can you take Tylenol with Amoxicillin?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of th...  Read Full »