Q. Developed painful swelling in the upper arm, vaccinated site. What is the treatment?

Dr. Veerpal Singh Uppal

I am a 53 year old lady with controlled DM for four years and mild hypertensive for two years, I have received Influenza vaccine and Meningococcal vaccine on the same day in both upper arm sides before one week. Today, I developed painful swelling with redness in my left upper arm at the injection site. What is the home treatment for my case?

#

• A painful swelling after vaccine at the injection site in a diabetic patient is common. In diabetic patients, if glucose control is inadequate, then any injection of injury causes prolonged healing due to the high sugar level in blood.
  • You just have to check and keep your sugar and HbA1C level to normal. Consider, dose adjustment of your Glucophage (Metformin) with your physician if required.
  • However, you can clean the injection site with an antiseptic (Chlorhexidine) to avoid contamination.

High blood sugar or poor control.

Blood sugar profile and HbA1C.

Cellulitis.

Injection site infection in people with diabetes.

Antiseptic cleaning, reduce blood sugar and dose adjustment of Glucophage.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Which type of vaccination is good, painless or painful?

Query: Hello doctor,My son's tongue comes out while sleeping and most of the time. He is six weeks old. While breastfeeding, he uses his tongue to suck the milk. Is this normal? Please advice.  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Is it necessary to get vaccinated after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»