Q. My 5 year old daughter was stung by a hornet. What do I do?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 28, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

My 5 year old daughter was stung by a hornet about four hours ago. She was fine shortly after, but after her bath, the area is red, swollen and hard about the size of a softball (at least) around it. It hurts and it is right under her butt cheek. So it hurts when she tries to even lift her leg. I gave her Benadryl and Advil and put a cold compress on it. She is not running a fever and her breathing is fine. What do I do further?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Hornet bite may lead to swelling and pain, fever or infection.

The redness and swelling which you have mentioned are due to the inflammation. In your case, swelling is large and it was not initially at the time of the bite and increased thereafter. This indicates an infection. So, we need to give antibiotics also along with analgesic and anti-inflammatory medications.

If the swelling was at the beginning and had not increased later, then, only Paracetamol would do.I suggest:

1. Syrup Amoxicillin 5 ml, four times a day for five days.
  2. Syrup Paracetamol 5 ml, two times a day for three days and this will decrease the pain and inflammation.
  3. Keep the affected area clean.
  4. Continue normal feeding and activity.

Revert back to a paediatrician online for any assistance --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|