Q. Kindly suggest a medicine for my sleep issue.

Dr. Sathya Prakash
Published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been suffering from depression and anxiety since 10 years. I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed too many medicines, which made matters worse. My family doctor has put me on Mirtaz 7.5 and due to severe problems of falling asleep I am on Zolfresh 10. My depression is a little better as it has been 15 days, but still I am not being able to fall asleep. We have tried having the medicine earlier in the night so I sleep on time, but it does not help. I face erections problems too. Kindly suggest a medicine that works well with Mirtaz for falling asleep.

#

A number of issues need to be addressed here.

• Before we talk about medicines, it is important to give much attention to sleep hygiene as your medications.
  • Regarding the medicines, Zolfresh (Zolpidem) is a medicine that has a short duration of action and starts working immediately.
  • A key condition for Zolfresh to work well is that you lie down soon after you take it. In other words, you should take it no earlier than 5 to 10 minutes before your sleeping time.
  • On the contrary, Mirtaz (Mirtazapine) acts after a time lag and has a relatively long duration of action. So, you need to take it a good two to three hours before your sleeping time.
  • So, if all the above aspects have been taken care of, the next step would be to increase the dose of Mirtazapine.
  • You are currently on the least available dose of Mirtazapine. You can try increasing it to 15 or 30. Remember that the maximum dose of Mirtaz is 60 mg per day. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and get the dose altered.
  • Your daytime sleepiness may be related to two things.
  1. Inadequate sleep at night.
  2. Continuing effects of Mirtazapine into the day.
  • Since you are having problems with sleeping at night, I would assume that predominantly it is the scenario one. I would suggest you stop Armod (Armodafinil) 150 for the time being and get your sleep back on track with these measures.
  • Pay special attention to the sleep hygiene points. You will also need to get a serum TSH and hemogram done.
  • As far as erectile difficulties are concerned, with the above measures some improvement is expected because psychological well being is closely related to erectile function. Once the sleep and depression issues are sorted out and the erectile problem still persists, then we can look into it.

Serum TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and hemogram.

Depression with insomnia.

Mirtazapine and Zolpidem 10 mg with careful instructions.

Sleep hygiene.

Revert back after a week to a psychiatrist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article