Q. Will intake of Insulin for my increased blood sugar level affect my fertility?

Dr. Thiyagarajan T
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am 23 years old. Recently I have been diagnosed with diabetes. I had no idea that I was diabetic until the day of diagnosis. My urine blood glucose was 310 mg/dL. My physician gave me medicine (Glyciphage 500 mg) and asked me to visit again in five days. Upon visiting him again, he said I need to start insulin right away. I am on insulin for three months now. One of my uncles said it is not good to be on insulin at a very young age. What should I do? Is insulin safe to inject at this age? I am also concerned about my pregnancy in the future (I am unmarried). I also take Zincovit daily after breakfast. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Are you taking both Insulin and Glyciphage (Metformin Hydrochloride)? Did your doctor say you have type 1 diabetes or type 2?

If he suspects type 1 diabetes, then yes, you have to take Insulin. Insulin is safe if taken in the right doses and at the right times. Even babies need Insulin if they have type 1 diabetes. So no worries about marriage or fertility.

But if you have type 2 diabetes, then you can be switched to oral medicines, maybe Glyciphage will not be enough, but other medicines can be used.

So that is the key whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

Check GAD (glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibodies) antibody, fasting C-peptide, and schedule a consult.

I hope this was helpful.

Yes, I am taking both Insulin (20 units) and also Glyciphage. As you suggested, I managed to get a test done on immediate notice, but the GAD antibody test needs to be done yet.

I am attaching the report of the C-peptide test. Please review the same and tell me if mine is type 1 or type 2 and I still need to get the GAD test done or not. Kindly help me.

#

The fasting C-peptide is low. You may have type 1 diabetes. Which Insulin do you take, how often, and at what dose? I would still recommend doing GAD antibody. Do you have a glucometer at home? What are the readings?

I recommend you continue Insulin. For now, do not stop. I hope this was helpful.

|