Q. I am suffering from excessive anger and anxiety attack with pituitary tumor. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2020

I am a 20-year-old girl having a 1 cm large tumor in my pituitary gland and I am medicated with Caberlin 0.5 once in a week. Besides this, something that worries me is excessive anger issues accompanied by anxiety and panic attacks past the last six months. I lose my temper in a jiff and cannot get over it till the end of the day. My eyes get flushed with red and I fall short of breathe having no control of what I speak and do. At home, I have tried injuring myself at times. I feel the need to pour out and hence either cut or hit myself against something. By doing so, I feel good and satisfied. After I am back to normal I realize I should not have hurt myself. I cannot speak to my parents at home regarding this because they are inconsiderate about mental health. Please help.

#

You have provided a detailed and insightful description of symptoms troubling you. You are reporting excessive anger, anxiety, panic attacks, self-injurious behavior for the past six months or so. These symptoms can occur in anyone, more common in people having high-stress levels. Physical health problems (like pituitary gland tumor in your situation) are known to contribute to emotional health problems like anxiety.

I just want to clarify whether you had similar problems with anger and anxiety before in your childhood? Or did all these problems start only in the past six months? When was Caberlin, Metformin and Aldactone started? Some patients can rarely develop side effects like anxiety, mood, and mental changes when on Caberlin and other medicaions. It will help to differentiate whether your anger and anxiety issues predated starting medication or whether it is a possible side effect.

Discuss with your prescribing doctor /endocrinologist about these issues during your next visit. Whatever the reason causing your anger issues and anxiety, it will get better with appropriate support.

Follow these self-help interventions:

1) Share your feelings with your parents and trusted family. Opening up and talking to a trusted family member can lower stress significantly. If you feel your parents do not understand mental health, you can share this query with them. It is closely linked to your physical health and overall well being.

2) You can write down your thoughts and the day’s experiences (diary/journaling).

3) Regular exercise - Exercise is the best mood regulator and reduces anxiety. Even a brisk walk of 10-15 minutes will be helpful.

4) Relaxation activities deep breathing techniques and progressive muscle relaxation will be helpful to manage anger and anxiety.

5) Deep breathing – Inhale through your nose for four counts (1-2-3-4 like smelling a flower), pause for two counts and then exhale through your mouth for eight counts of breath (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 like blowing a candle). Make the breath so deep that it reaches and expands the belly. Do it for 5-10 minutes or longer. You will notice that you are able to calm down.

6) Progressive muscle relaxation look at youtube videos for guidance and practice for 15-20 minutes daily.

If problems are severe and persistent, you will benefit by further consultation with a psychiatrist and consider counseling/ therapy. As I said earlier, it may be linked to your physical health problem. So discuss with your specialist as they may have an associated psychologist/psychiatrist who can help.

| 

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

What are the ways a neurosurgeon can get access to someone's brain?

Query: Hello doctor, What are the ways a neurosurgeon can get to someone's brain? Along those lines, what does a person typically experience after having their skull opened or a bone flap?  Read Full »

Does high prolactin hamper conception?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for last one year. Examination showed high thyroid and prolactin levels. My doctor put me on Thyronorm 25 and Cabergoline 0.5. My thyroid levels became normal but my prolactin levels came down to 35.06 from 55 after three months. Recent blood test showed 37....  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»