Q. Is intrauterine pregnancy possible with low hCG levels and brown spotting?

Answered by
Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

Hi doctor,

My wife has brown spotting and mild abdominal pain since a few days. We did beta hCG test three times, and the results were 257 mlU/ml, 437 mlU/ml, and 657 mlU/ml respectively. Once in a while, she feels a sharp pain on the left side lower abdomen. So, we checked for ectopic pregnancy by transvaginal ultrasound. But they did not find any pregnancy in the left fallopian tube or the uterus, except a thick endometrium. The doctor said that the hope for a viable pregnancy is very low and there is still a chance for an ectopic pregnancy. Based on the hCG results, the doctor decided to go for Methotrexate injection. I would like a second opinion on this.

We got married three years ago, and have been trying to conceive for the past two years. My wife had an ectopic pregnancy which ended with right side fallopian tube removal and a laparoscopic surgery was done to remove a block on the left fallopian tube. The tube is open as per HSG test. Currently, my wife takes Thyronorm, Folsafe and Naturogest 200 medicines. She also has mild PCOD and hyperthyroidism.



Welcome to

  • Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is very specific to pregnancy because hCG level when more than 1500 mlU/ml will reveal a pregnancy in a scan.
  • Now you must understand that beta hCG doubles in cases of intrauterine pregnancy once in two days. Since the hCG value is low in your wife's case and it is not doubling, the chances for an intrauterine pregnancy is less.
  • Since there is a history of an ectopic pregnancy and tubal surgery, the chances of an ectopic pregnancy are higher, as your doctor said.
  • It is best to consult your physician and get an hCG test again. Once ectopic pregnancy is confirmed then Methotrexate injection is the best treatment.

For more queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply. But, what if a fetus be present in the uterus? Can we go ahead with the pregnancy then?



Welcome back to

  • If pregnancy is intrauterine, then it can proceed. But first, you need to confirm that.
  • As your doctor has suggested, kindly do beta hCG and follow-up.

For more queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am having trouble getting pregnant. What can I do other than IVF?

The fallopian tube is a bridge between the uterus and ovaries ... This tube is never seen on scan or examination ... An IUI after this test...   Read full

Can adenomyosis be treated through ayurveda or siddha or naturopathy?

The right fallopian tube is damaged, hence the ovum released by the right ovary cannot be utilized for natural conception ... Thank you doctor, Here doctor said that her right ...   Read full

The beta hCG levels of my wife are very high.Does this signify a healthy pregnancy?

We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy ... Does this value signify a healthy pregnancy ... We got a positive result through urine test ... We did serum b...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.