Q. I have a very low ferritin level and low Hb after recovering from COVID. Why?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2021

I have a very low ferritin level (2.62) and low Hb (7.8). My RBC impression is anisocytosis, microcytosis, hypochromia. Moreover, my face has swollen. I was a covid patient and got recovered one month back. Since then, I was diagnosed with mild glaucoma, as my IOP was higher than normal.

Moreover, I was suffering from headaches and stiff neck, and vertigo problems and still suffering. So, my doctor suggested me these tests. I use Alphagan Z eye drops. What should I do now? Kindly give your opinion.

#

I understand your concern and will help you regarding it. I have thoroughly assessed your attached reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You are suffering from iron deficiency anemia. It is the most common nutritional deficiency all over the world. Iron is important for the synthesis of hemoglobin (the oxygen-carrying molecule). The deficiency of iron leads to inadequate hemoglobin levels, and this eventually results in tissue hypoxia. Iron is stored in the body in the form of ferritin. Reduced ferritin levels suggest iron stores are inadequate. The blood film showing anisocytosis, microcytosis, and hypochromia in RBCs (red blood cells) is a classical feature of iron deficiency anemia. Iron deficiency anemia leads to symptoms of fatigue and dizziness. As your iron stores are extremely low, you should be administered iron in injection form (Ferric Carboxymaltose).

In addition to this, I need to know if you have excessive blood loss in the form of a menstrual bleed or some other cause that you already know. Also, tell the duration of facial swelling. You should get done few investigations for this.

1) Serum albumin and globulin.

2) Kidney function tests.

I hope this was helpful. Please get back with the reports for further help.

|