Q. Can I take Orofer XT instead of Orofer?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

We were prescribed Orofer but got Orofer XT for iron deficiency. Is it fine to have Orofer XT instead of Orofer?

#

• Iron deficiency anemia is very common. You should start taking iron supplements only after an accurate diagnosis is made. Because if taken in over dosage it may cause health problems.
  • Iron supplements should not be given in iron overload, thalassemia and non iron deficiency anemia. In pregnancy, iron supplements are taken prophylactically for prevention of iron deficiency.
  • Orofer XT contains Iron (Ferrous ascorbate) and Folic acid. It is used for prevention and treatment of iron deficiency anemia and supplies maintenance dose of folic acid also.
  • An overdose of iron with folic acid supplements can pose serious health risks, which includes paleness, weak and quick heart beat, nausea and vomiting.
  • Orofer also contains Iron and Folic acid but the iron present in it is in combination with polymaltose complex which is tolerated well than other ferrous salts like ferrous ascorbate (Orofer XT).
  • The slower absorption of Orofer increases its safety profile and hence the side effects like gastric irritation, nausea, vomiting and constipation are less with the use of Orofer.
  • After three months of treatment, both Orofer and Orofer XT give the same result. Hence, I suggest you to prefer Orofer over Orofer XT if you have gastric problem and not able to tolerate iron well.

I have attached my mother's report for your reference. Please check them and let me know. Thank you.

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Her hemoglobin, serum iron, transferrin saturation and MCV (mean corpuscular volume) are low. This point towards iron deficiency anemia. She needs iron supplementation.
  • Plain Orofer and Orofer XT both contain iron and folic acid. The only difference is tolerance to the drug.
  • If she tolerates Orofer XT well and does not develop any side effects like nausea, vomiting, gastric irritation, bloating and constipation, she can take it.
  • Her MCV is low, she does not have folic acid deficiency but there is no harm in giving folic acid along with iron.

|