Q. Can I take Orofer XT instead of Orofer?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Published on Jul 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2019

We were prescribed Orofer but got Orofer XT for iron deficiency. Is it fine to have Orofer XT instead of Orofer?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

• Iron deficiency anemia is very common. You should start taking iron supplements only after an accurate diagnosis is made. Because if taken in over dosage it may cause health problems.
  • Iron supplements should not be given in iron overload, thalassemia and non iron deficiency anemia. In pregnancy, iron supplements are taken prophylactically for prevention of iron deficiency.
  • Orofer XT contains Iron (Ferrous ascorbate) and Folic acid. It is used for prevention and treatment of iron deficiency anemia and supplies maintenance dose of folic acid also.
  • An overdose of iron with folic acid supplements can pose serious health risks, which includes paleness, weak and quick heart beat, nausea and vomiting.
  • Orofer also contains Iron and Folic acid but the iron present in it is in combination with polymaltose complex which is tolerated well than other ferrous salts like ferrous ascorbate (Orofer XT).
  • The slower absorption of Orofer increases its safety profile and hence the side effects like gastric irritation, nausea, vomiting and constipation are less with the use of Orofer.
  • After three months of treatment, both Orofer and Orofer XT give the same result. Hence, I suggest you to prefer Orofer over Orofer XT if you have gastric problem and not able to tolerate iron well.

I have attached my mother's report for your reference. Please check them and let me know. Thank you.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Her hemoglobin, serum iron, transferrin saturation and MCV (mean corpuscular volume) are low. This point towards iron deficiency anemia. She needs iron supplementation.
  • Plain Orofer and Orofer XT both contain iron and folic acid. The only difference is tolerance to the drug.
  • If she tolerates Orofer XT well and does not develop any side effects like nausea, vomiting, gastric irritation, bloating and constipation, she can take it.
  • Her MCV is low, she does not have folic acid deficiency but there is no harm in giving folic acid along with iron.

Can you see the attached CBC report, and let me know if there is anything serious ?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's iron and ferritin were low, so the doctor ordered CBC. CBC showed low WBC, high monocytes, and high RBC, which is what made us scared. She has schistocytes and elliptocytes among other RBC morphologies. We read about it and are very worried, and she had a C-section three years...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report shows schistocytes, which are fragmented RBC (red blood cell), commonly seen in hemolytic anemia. So, to rule out hemolysis, serum LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), ret...  Read Full

What is the maximum iron intake for a man?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, who is 1.8 m tall, and I weigh 106 kg. I have a problem recently. I went to a dentist for an abscess, and I had blood a bit removed, so I felt a bit weak. And finally some days after, I felt I needed iron supplements. I took one 100 mg and then took another 100...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To know about iron overload, get serum ferritin and iron levels checked. In iron-deficiency, an elementary iron of 100 to 200 mg per day is advised. In a normal person, daily allowance is hardly 25 mg per day. You just stop your iron supplements and have these tests...  Read Full

How much Folic acid is required during pregnancy in Crohn's patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Crohn's disease and am pregnant. The first day of my last period was before 40 days and I have been taking multivitamins which includes 400 micrograms of Folic acid for the past four months. I am now pregnant. The doctor said that I need 5 mg of Folic acid due to the Crohns whi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. You need not worry or be anxious about it. Although absorption of Folate may be disturbed because of your Crohns, taking 400 mcg for four months will be good enough. Meaning, you are not deficient from it from the very start but since you are ...  Read Full