HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyirregular bleedingHow to deal with bleeding after sex and smelly vaginal discharge?

I am bleeding after sex and my vaginal discharge is smelly. What to do?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 10, 2019
Reviewed AtJanuary 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 40 years old with three children, and my periods stopped a few months ago. After some time, I got a short period for one time; then it stopped for another three months. I started feeling unwell and thought it was just due to stress. I had some discharge, which was not itchy but had an odor. At first it was clear, then the discharge was creamy with a pink tinge for over a few days. The discharge became light bleeding after intercourse. I then began spotting, which lasted for approximately three weeks. I had intercourse with my teenaged partner and had pain followed by a medium to heavy bleeding, which lasted for over a week. It began to lighten, but I am feeling very unwell, nauseous at times, lethargic, etc. I had sex again, and during intercourse, the bleeding was heavy, accompanied by pain. Since then, I have heavy bleeding with clots. The odour is still there; the pain seems to have subsided, but I am bleeding, and passing clots and my vagina feels painful. Can you give me some advice on what this might be.

Answered by Dr. Sonal Prasad


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Post-coital bleeding, along with vaginal discharge and menstrual abnormalities, must be further investigated. It can be due to uterine causes like a polyp or more likely due to cervical causes like polyp, erosion, LSIL (low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion), etc. You need to get a serum TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), PRL (prolactin) value done along with USG gynae (ultrasound). You also need to get a per speculum examination done along with PAP smear and colposcopy. Check your hemoglobin level to assess the blood loss and need to be compensated if any. I suggest to take table Tranexamic acid 500 mg one tablet, three times a day for the bleeding. Please note that the medication is just for the symptomatic relief, and you must get the above mentioned investigations done even if the symptoms disappear for the time being.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sonal Prasad
Dr. Sonal Prasad

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy