Q. My husband has irregular heart rate, systolic pressure and mild back pain. Is it a cardiac issue?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Nov 18, 2019

Hello doctor,

My husband is 43 years old. He has an irregular pulse, 40-60 is his daytime heartrate, borderline BP managed through diet for a few days. He complains of lightheaded feeling at wakeup, increased systolic BP 143-153 mmHg, and mild nausea with occasional mild back pain on the right side. He takes one pill of Omega men every day. Can the problem be a renal or cardiac issue?

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

From symptoms, it does not look like a cardiac issue as a cause of pain, it is likely due to gastritis and reflux. Does he also have upper abdominal pain, bloating, burping, an increase in pain on food, sour water feeling in the throat or chest burning? These are the other symptoms and may be associated. He should avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals. Have regular sleep habits and avoid stress. Take lots of green leafy vegetables, and fruits. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any.

He should get prescribed tablet Pan DSR (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once a day for two weeks. If not adequately relieved, then you should add syrup Sucral O (Sucralfate) or Gelusil two teaspoons three times a day for a week.

Also, his blood pressure is on a higher side. He should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily and high-calorie diet. Have a low salt diet and monitor his blood pressure regularly thrice a day for one week then, once or twice a week. If BP is persistently more than 140/90 mmHg, then you should be on medicines for it. This can be a cause for his high BP.

Do regular exercises like brisk walking, jogging according to your capacity at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week. Try to achieve weight loss and BMI (body mass index) within 23. Get his ECG (echocardiogram), lipid profile, sugars, and renal function test done once.

I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

He has recently started drinking non-RO+UV filter water, just a basic filter water. Is there any possibility of hard metal ingestion which can somewhere cause an increase in BP? Will it cause any renal issues? What can we do to verify this?

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

All his problems are unlikely to be caused by water ingestion. And to rule out renal issues, he will need tests that I have advised previously. He will need a renal function test, urine 24 hours examination. Also, he should get a lipid profile, and sugar tested once.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

How to use an automatic blood pressure device?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an automatic device for checking blood pressure at home. There are 3 options of which first says "sys", the second one says "dia" and the third one "pulse'. Which option is for checking the blood pressure and how much should is normal?  Read Full »

Can antral gastritis cause hunger?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with antral gastritis, lots of acid in stomach and reflux. Problems started after I took some medicines. Since then I am always hungry. I eat more than before the problem started, but still I feel hungry. I am also suffering from excessive hair loss. Why am I always hu...  Read Full »

Why is there irregular heartbeat with chest and shoulder pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female, no current medications, no known conditions, family history of many different heart problems on both maternal and paternal sides, seen by a cardiologist for bigeminy and irregular heartbeat over the summer, palpations still happen pretty often, chest and sh...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.