Q. My 5-year-old son complains tickling of penis and discomfort. Why does he get this?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 22, 2020

My 5-year-old complains about tickling in his penis. It seems to be very uncomfortable. Pediatrician says it is not an infection and not sure what it is. He cries and sometimes he begins to pull it. Please help. He is currently on Zyrtec for allergies.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

There may be some ongoing phimosis or some urine particles in the prepuce of the penis leading to this feeling. Please apply Betnovate skin cream to the prepuce of the child and gently pull the skin backward so that the cream goes into the gap between prepuce and head of the penis (prepuce is the extra skin of uncircumcised penis). You can look it up on google for your knowledge. Also, keep the area between the prepuce and the head of the penis clean by making sure water and soap reach that area while bathing. This technique helps in about 80 percent cases so do not worry.

| 

My son has been circumcised. Would this apply to a circumcised child? And can I still use the cream recommended?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Welcome back to ilciniq.com.

Since your son was circumcised, this response will change. It is less likely that this cream will work in a circumcised penis. However then, your description holds true in the case of urine particles that may be stuck in the head. In such a case, drinking plenty of water and maintaining cleanliness like washing the head of the penis and making sure water goes into the head (not aggressively) will work.

|