Q. My 5-year-old son complains tickling of penis and discomfort. Why does he get this?

Answered by
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 22, 2020

Hello doctor,

My 5-year-old complains about tickling in his penis. It seems to be very uncomfortable. Pediatrician says it is not an infection and not sure what it is. He cries and sometimes he begins to pull it. Please help. He is currently on Zyrtec for allergies.



Welcome to

There may be some ongoing phimosis or some urine particles in the prepuce of the penis leading to this feeling. Please apply Betnovate skin cream to the prepuce of the child and gently pull the skin backward so that the cream goes into the gap between prepuce and head of the penis (prepuce is the extra skin of uncircumcised penis). You can look it up on google for your knowledge. Also, keep the area between the prepuce and the head of the penis clean by making sure water and soap reach that area while bathing. This technique helps in about 80 percent cases so do not worry.

Thank you doctor,

My son has been circumcised. Would this apply to a circumcised child? And can I still use the cream recommended?



Welcome back to

Since your son was circumcised, this response will change. It is less likely that this cream will work in a circumcised penis. However then, your description holds true in the case of urine particles that may be stuck in the head. In such a case, drinking plenty of water and maintaining cleanliness like washing the head of the penis and making sure water goes into the head (not aggressively) will work.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have phimosis, yellow urine, knee pain, and constipation. Please help.

And also I cannot pull my foreskin back to the tip ...   Read full

I have red and white boils on the head of penis. Please suggest good medicines.

.. history, it appears to be a fungal infection. Could you please send me pictures for an appropriate diagnosis and treatment? Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> .. ...   Read full

How can I treat allergic reaction to Doxycycline?

.. photograph is not hives (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is chronic dermatitis. It has nothing to do with Doxycycline. You need a medium potency Corticosteroid cream like Betamethasone valerate 1 % twice daily for two weeks wit...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Impact of COVID-19 on Female Sexual Health
Women have been affected and still face the consequences of Coronavirus on their sexual health. Read more about the impa...  Read more»
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Pregnancy
Carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy occurs when a nerve supplying the hand is compressed at the forearm level due to the...  Read more»
Breaking the Link-Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Bacterial Overgrowth
A surplus of bacteria in the intestine causes irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Read the article below to know more about ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.